• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to open IBM 5153 monitor

romanon

Veteran Member
Hi i want to clean my 5153 monitor from inside, but i dont know how to open it. I removed all screws but i cant open it. Any advices or procedure? thanks

From memory there is 2 screws in the top and 4 screws underneath, To get to the top screws you need to remove the 2 square plastic inserts, Be extremely careful when sticking your hands inside, Touch the wrong thing and you'll know it, These old monitors can hold a big charge for a long time after last use.

I have never gotten the little plastic squares out without breaking the retaining tabs on them, so take care. The caution about it holding an electrical charge is valid as well.

There's nothing inside the 5153 monitor that requires cleaning. Since the picture tube is charged with 21,000 Volts and there's no bleeder for safely either, I wouldn't recommend opening the monitor at all unless you have to do some kind of maintenance (like replacing caps) anyway.

ok mission accomplished, monitor cleaned, picture centered - i was pretty much scared with working inside powered on monitor :wow:

don't ever not be scared.
we should've gave you this link, in case you didn't read it before.
If he actually did what he said he did:

... i was pretty much scared with working inside powered on monitor :wow:
reading the link you gave him would have been a complete waste of time as it's impossible to discharge a CRT that is in operation without dire consequences. And, even then, if the CRT doesn't explode, it will remain charged. :)

Don't ever not be scared is great advice though. I did service on TV's for ten years in the 70's, and vintage monitors are quite similar in many ways. One of the nice things about computer service is the machine is usually off when your hands are inside, and unless you are in the power supply, it's pretty hard to get shocked in one anyway. Servicing CRT displays isn't possible without it sometimes being on.

By the 80's I had been shocked so many times I could tolerate 120VAC without much fuss.

I've been trying to imagine just what would happen if you had the CRT anode connected to ground when you fired it up. It would likely blow the high voltage rectifier and/or the horizontal output transistor, and maybe smoke the flyback transformer.

Fireworks in any case.

Back