• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wireless Networking on a PowerBook 190 (Help Needed)

Mac

Experienced Member
I recently acquired this PowerBook 190 with 40MB of Ram and OS 8.1 on it. I already had this Orinoco Gold card made by Lucent Technologies (WaveLAN? Confusing naming.) Either way, I wanted to put the two together and explore the web via Netscape on my totally rad vintage laptop. I, however, ran into some trouble while trying to set it up. I found the supposedly compatible driver from here. I installed it and sure enough, now when I pop the card in, it shows up as a WaveLan card. However, to use it, I need to double click the icon and go to the AppleTalk settings and set AppleTalk to connect via the card. This is where the problem is, the card doesn't show up in the list, it only shows the IR driver, Alternate Ethernet and serial/modem. What gives? When I select the "Alternate Ethernet" option, it does initialize it and the lights on the card start blinking indicating it's active.

Last edited:
Bit more clarification: When I try to run the WaveLan setup program, a window pops up telling me I need to configure AppleTalk or TCP/IP to use the WaveLan PC card by double-clicking the card icon and configuring AppleTalk to use the card. When I do that but instead select the Alternate Ethernet option, it lets me open the WaveLan setup program but I have no idea where to go from there.

Ah, makes sense. (Kind of? :D) When it's loaded and ready, what next? I don't see an option anywhere to connect to a Wlan base station and Netscape says it couldn't connect.

I did find the version 7.2 Orinoco driver but it wouldn't let me install. Just said it's either damaged or won't work with my computer. Nothing changed when I manually dragged the extensions to my system folder, so I deleted them. The WaveLAN driver that I linked earlier seems to work fine but it has no software to actually connect to a base station. It did come with some extra extensions the installed didn't install, such as WaveLAN Scan, but those don't seem to do anything even when I manually dragged them to my extensions afterwards.

Yeah I need a 68k compatible driver. I'll try to hunt for the Orinoco 6.3 version.

It works now! Turns out the Network name box in the WaveLAN setup program is literally where you type the SSID of your network, so I did that and now it works perfectly :D

Back