• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft BASIC-80 5.21 vs. BASIC-85 5.29

NF6X

Veteran Member
While poking around for CP/M stuff, I've found a couple different versions of MBASIC.COM. One identifies itself as BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21, and the other identifies itself as BASIC-85 Rev. 5.29. My natural inclination is to use the newer one. Is there any particular reason to pick one over the other for use under Montezuma Micro CP/M 2.2 on a TRS-80 Model 4, such as compatibility issues with the system and/or any BASIC code I find in the wild?

While poking around for CP/M stuff, I've found a couple different versions of MBASIC.COM. One identifies itself as BASIC-80 Rev. 5.21, and the other identifies itself as BASIC-85 Rev. 5.29.

Sounds like you have 2 different things there.
BASIC-80 is pretty standard. I believe the "80" means its for the 8080 processor.
That said, unless the "85" is a typo, it suggests it's for some other CPU -- maybe the 8085?

The version numbers suggest 8 minor bug fixes.
I doubt you'd notice much difference.

Anyway, go with the BASIC-80.

Hmm 8085 is just 8080 from BASIC's view. The same instructions. Anyway I have only BASIC-85 Rev. 5.29. And I can only find manual for BASIC-80 release 5. I would like to know what's the difference between the two.

Back