• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XGA-2 card and LCD problem.

[UFO]

Experienced Member
Hi!

I have moved to a new house since the last time I wrote here and I brought my loved IBM PS/2 Model 80 with me. It has a XGA-2 card and I connect it to a 19' Hannspree LCD TV screen (with VGA input) and it works BUT...

Problem is that I can't see any of the DOS checks (black screen in memory check, DOS boot, drivers, etc.) but it shows Win 3.11 OK. I know that maybe it is due to a resolution/refresh issue because I tested it with a small CRT monitor and it runs well. According to the monitor info, DOS is at 720x400 and when Win 3.11 boots, it goes to 1024x768 at 70Hz.

Is it possible to change the refresh rate or resolution in the XGA-2 card from the beginning? XGA-2 cards have a refresh rate of 88 Hz, which (I think), is not compatible with some LCD screens. Anyone has had the same experience and can help me get orientated?

Thanks for the help! :)

If the Model 80 has onboard VGA video, then check to see if it's using that during POST and DOS. The easiest answer may be to set up two monitors, or one monitor with dual inputs, connected to the onboard VGA as well as the XGA-2 card.

If the Model 80 has onboard VGA video, then check to see if it's using that during POST and DOS. The easiest answer may be to set up two monitors, or one monitor with dual inputs, connected to the onboard VGA as well as the XGA-2 card.

Thanks for your answer! Yes, if I use the onboard VGA, everything goes OK, except for Win3.11 because it uses the drivers for the XGA-2. Using a CRT also makes everything work like a charm.

LCD TVs usually make pretty terrible monitors. I would try using a regular LCD monitor first

After reading much and digging in the specs of the TFT, it seems it is not compatible with the refresh frequency of the XGA2, so I will use the CRT. With it, everything goes like a charm.

After reading much and digging in the specs of the TFT, it seems it is not compatible with the refresh frequency of the XGA2, so I will use the CRT. With it, everything goes like a charm.

LCD monitors don't like interlaced video, such as the interlaced 1024x768 mode that was common in the early '90s. Older LCD monitors will usually still attempt to display the screen image while flashing their warning that the refresh rate is too high or too low (see below), while newer ones just go to a blank screen.

Back