• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

2 X Orchid RamQuest 8/16 Memory Expansion Boards

schwenj

I have two brand new sealed in the box Orchid RamQuest 8/16 boards.

Located in Orange County, California

I'm currently looking for offers. I was unable to find any current information these. I'm aware that they are relatively rare.

Hi,

Contact info? No way to PM or email. Interested in one or both boards if still available (I am in LA) so might be able to pickup/pay in person. Thanks!

The price for each board is $400, this includes shipping within the united states.

Price: Arm, Postage: Leg

For that price AC I think you can get a kidney or even a liver ;). But then you never know on eBay, where people pay $1000 for mice and KBs... Hey if you got the money to burn then why not? I see people crashing $400,000 cars everyday! Seriously when did it all get so out of hand?

Last edited:
The price for each board is $400, this includes shipping within the united states.
Yeah, good luck with that... when you can buy entire 5150 system units working for a quarter that?

But then again, you never know with e-fence; you might have some sucker come along.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orchid-RamQ...228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4b49c064

They're rare, but not THAT rare. A reasonable starting bid would be $100.

Remember, your audience is vintage collectors, not businesses trying to get old equipment up and running -- most of that market dried up when DOSBox and other emulators became able to drive serial and parallel ports properly.

They're interesting because they can take SIMMs for expansion, all the way up to 32MB. LIM EMS boards that can do that and also work in an 8-bit slot are quite uncommon. (16-bit boards, such as the Acculogic RAMpAT!, are somewhat more common.)

The card supports Lim EMS 4.0 and EEMS. A similar card is the Intel Aboveboard that offers 8mb of LIM EMS 4.0 Memory. Most applications only use up to 4mb of EMS and you will probably never need 32mb in any situation. The question here is: What is the biggest EMS-board you can get?

Its just for sh*ts and giggles, really.

But all any of that is good for is a ram disk on an xt, right?

RAM disk, print spooler, disk cache (if you have a really slow hard drive), and can run apps like Lotus 1-2-3 with very large spreadsheets and Desqview with very many applications. How practical this is depends on how you use your XT, obviously. In 2015 it's mostly just for research purposes.

Use for a disk cache becomes very interesting if the disk cache is the same size or larger as the hard drive -- it can cache the entire hard drive in RAM.

What is the biggest EMS-board you can get?

For 8-bit slots? This one (the Orchid RAMQuest).

hello
400$ somewhat over my budget. But found an auction with a used one, and today got it for 40$ - hope it works :)
/cimonvg

Back