• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

USB keyboard on a 486

vladstamate

Experienced Member
Hi,

I need another AT keyboard for a 486 system I just got. So I have an option to buy one from eBay for about 39+shipping or, and here is the question, can I use a USB keyboard via a USB-to-PS/2 adapter plugged into a PS/2-to-AT adapter? Will that work, has anyone try that? It would be a cheaper option as I already have spare USB keyboards.

Vlad.

It depends on the type of keyboard and type of adapter. Some USB keyboards only support USB and would need an active adapter (something that supports the USB host protocol) whereas other USB keyboards are actually dual-mode on the USB connector and will work with a passive adapter (these usually would have been sold with an adapter in the box).

I've got several nice AT style and PS/2 keyboards, both NIB and used. If you'd like more information give me an idea what you're looking for.

Hi,

I need another AT keyboard for a 486 system I just got. So I have an option to buy one from eBay for about 39+shipping or, and here is the question, can I use a USB keyboard via a USB-to-PS/2 adapter plugged into a PS/2-to-AT adapter? Will that work, has anyone try that? It would be a cheaper option as I already have spare USB keyboards.

Vlad.

Do you use a separate keyboard for every PC? I'm kind of using a switch box to connect 1 set of keyboard-mouse-vga to 4 different PCs. Saves some space.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130877009371?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

In the end I went both routes: I got a usb-2-ps2 and a ps2-to-at convertors but also a ps2 keyboard. Hopefully that would work. I might contact if you that does not turn out as I want it to.

Hey orion24,

Thank you for the suggestion. Once the computers are in a place (close to each other) that will definitely work. Right now they are all over my office in different state of open cases and repairs. :)

Back