• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The HP 35S

KC9UDX

Space Commander
For some reason, I decided to buy a new HP 35s instead of an old HP 67.

It is just typical of the modern times. They almost got it right. Just almost. What a let down.

They gave us three digit line numbers. But still only 16 labels. :mad: I for some reason fully expected ALPHA labels.

The keyboard layout is just plain awkward. A lot of functions that were blue-shifted on previous machines are tan-shifted, and vice-versa.
There is no indication on the keyboard as to which functions are menus.
The directional keys are kind of nice, but they're in the wrong spot. If HEX worked, ABCDEF would not be in the top row.
Why is SPACE shifted?
Why is there a left shift and a right shift? The shifted items are not on the right and left like the 32SII.
STO is shifted! GTO is not. XEQ is in an awkward spot. When I press XEQ, I should not have to type a line number!
There's still no ALPHA mode, so you have to press RCL every time you want a letter.

HEX and BIN are totally useless. They make you scroll through a menu to type a suffix every time you enter a number. There seems to be no way to enter A-F in HEX.

In 2007, a backlighted display would not be out of place.
The two-line display could be useful, and actually is when VIEWing variables, but, always seeing the Y register is confusing for someone who always knows what's in Y due to only normally seeing X.
Speaking of which, display and entry are just awkward: One can input a seemingly endless string of digits. The display is 15 digits wide, yet it still only displays 12. SHOW doesn't seem to work correctly all the time.

They made it so thin because of modern technology. I would have much appreciated it being thicker! Though, at least it is still thicker than most recent machines.

On the bright side, it does use a MOS 8502 CPU..! (The same chip used in the Commodore 128 )

Last edited:
I bought an HP 35S new a couple of years ago, mostly because I wish I had bought an HP 32S new back when those were still available. I thought about an HP 33S but could never get past the funky keyboard on that one.

One of my biggest complaints about the HP 35S is that the battery life is poor, even if you hardly ever use it. The batteries on mine died a while ago and I haven't bothered replacing them yet, while the fairly old batteries in my 32Sii and 48GX are still going fine.

I wanted a 355s, but the font is just unacceptable. I like the font of the old 41's, although it ain't perfect. The damned 35s font just disgusts me. It's been fairly well received. I'd buy one but for that skanky font.

I haven't reserved brain real estate or money yet to purchase a Prime. I have to have the Prime. Nothing less will do. I don't like custom batteries though. But I must have one. They're not even expensive.

Glad to hear there's a nice processor in the 35s though. If I could only hack that miserable font . . .

I've got a 35S (bought it for the FE exam), but always use my 32SII or 48G. I gave away my 49g+ to a friend of mine, and don't ever use my 50g either. The only time I pull out something other than the HPs is if I need CAS, in which case the TI-Nspire is acceptable. However, it's been a long time since I've needed that.

I was surprised to see that OS X still ships with an RPN calculator (if you enable it); at least under Mavericks anyways.

Kyle

I bought an HP 35S new a couple of years ago, mostly because I wish I had bought an HP 32S new back when those were still available. I thought about an HP 33S but could never get past the funky keyboard on that one.
I received an HP32S as a gift exactly 27 years ago tomorrow. :) I still have it, but I got so used to the fractions of the 32SII that I hardly use it anymore. It, like all my 32SIIs is in lousy condition. Too much getting banged around at work.

One of my biggest complaints about the HP 35S is that the battery life is poor, even if you hardly ever use it.
That's disappointing to hear. Especially after being used to the battery life I get from the 32S and 32SII. I can count on my fingers the number of times I've changed batteries in those over the years, even with heavy use.

tipc said:
I wanted a 355s, but the font is just unacceptable. I like the font of the old 41's, although it ain't perfect. The damned 35s font just disgusts me. It's been fairly well received. I'd buy one but for that skanky font.
If they only made a 41alike that runs faster, and has more memory, that would be utterly perfect. Why they never attempted that is a mystery to me. Oh, and it would have to have the SOLVEr, and fractions. (Isn't SOLVE derived from a root-finding program for the 41?)

Someday I have to break down and buy a 41CX. Unfortunately, I sold all my 41 accessories.

Last edited:
Another failure: They put the x<>y key way out of the way to make room for a mostly unused () key.

Now I'm angry to the point of selling it.

To enter the fraction 1/32, ever since the HP32SII, we have fraction entry like this: 1..32 which will display as either 1/32 or 0.0313 depending on the display mode. On the HP35s, entering 1..32 results in a value of 1.32, which can be disastrous! The designers expect you to type 0.1.32!

I also found (not that I care) that typing 0.1.32.33 makes the calculator do some really stupid things.

If they only made a 41alike that runs faster, and has more memory, that would be utterly perfect. Why they never attempted that is a mystery to me. Oh, and it would have to have the SOLVEr, and fractions. (Isn't SOLVE derived from a root-finding program for the 41?)

Someday I have to break down and buy a 41CX. Unfortunately, I sold all my 41 accessories.

There are several HP-41 emulators that you can run on the PC, Android and iPad. They will run at high speed and have all the module extensions available. The down side is that they don't offer the classic HP keyboard. My favorite to use is Free42 on my android phone & tablet and PC. Let me know if you are interested and I give you many emulators to try.

Bill
WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

Hello Bill,

I do have Free42 on my Android phone. I had used a 42 when they were new, there was something I really didn't like about it. It might have been the way the menus were structured, or maybe I was just too stubborn and preferred the 41.

I use Free42 and a handful of other emulators on the phones I have. I can't get used to them though. I have come to expect quick and consistent response with HP calculators, and the emulators just can't do that.

I will probably revert to using my 32SIIs, and I don't know what I'm going to do with the 35S at this point. I may just keep trying to use it.

Matt

I have a 35s and i must say i like it pretty much. The display is nicely readable imo and it just needs a good light source. I'd hate it if it was backlighted!
The keyboard layout is surely confusing, but as you get used to it, it's a nice calculator imo.
And, yea, it uses a damn good processor :D
The only thing i would like it to do would be running BASIC, but there seems to be no way of doing that...

ALPHA would sure be cool (it's damn annoying having to RCL all the times you want to use letters), but i think RAM's nice as is...

Sure, but there's not enough RAM to program a BASIC interpreter.

Speaking of programming, consider program:
Code:
0001  1
0002  ENTER
0003  2
0004  +
0005  RTN

The keystrokes to enter the program are:
Code:
ENTER
ENTER
+
(left shift)RTN

I wonder why they felt it necessary to not code the first ENTER?

How many bytes are in there actually? I thought it was ~32kb
Sometimes it's really annoying. I got an old (but mint) Casio fx-5000f and it has a convenient Alpha-Lock function.
I don't really know why they used this kind of input sequences, i can't really find a good reason for that.

Last edited:
How many bytes are in there actually? I thought it was ~32kb
I think so. Mine seems to be reporting 29513 bytes free. Or, it's bytes used, but that wouldn't make much sense.

Sometimes it's really annoying. I got an old (but mint) Casio fx-5000f and it has a convenient Alpha-Lock function.
I don't really know why they used this kind of input sequences, i can't really find a good reason for that.
The HP28C has an Alpha Lock function. I can't understand why: It has a full alpha keyboard which is always active.

Back