• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Name changes of gmaes.

facattack

Veteran Member
Dragon Warrior (USA) vs Dragon Quest (Japan)

Out of this World as i remember it going by the name "Another World" now.

Worst Offender: Resident Evil. I get the mansion in the frist one is a Residence. You could say the place itself is haunted but the subsequent two games took place outside of the mansion in Racoon City or other places around the world. Real name? Biohazard.

According to Wikipedia, "Another World" was published in North America under the title "Out Of This World" in order to avoid confusion with the TV soap opera "Another World." That sounds rather unlikely to me, and they don't cite a reference for that claim, but who knows...

Nintendo's "Mario" character was originally named "Jumpman" and was originally a carpenter. Later they changed him to a plumber named Mario.

For some reason Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed was called Porsche 2000 in some countries, and just Porsche in others.
And then they made an online-only version, which they called Top Speed :)

Nintendo's "Mario" character was originally named "Jumpman" and was originally a carpenter. Later they changed him to a plumber named Mario.

I always noticed the Mario looking person on the Jumpman cartridge but thought it may have just been my imagination. Makes some sense though with the original arcade version game play.

I always noticed the Mario looking person on the Jumpman cartridge but thought it may have just been my imagination. Makes some sense though with the original arcade version game play.

Mario was named Jumpman in Donkey Kong. The actual game Jumpman was put out by Epyx and the name is probably a coincidence (although parts of the game are similar to Donkey Kong).

I remember these name changes

Duke Nukem 3D ==> Duke Nukem IIID
Alien Rampage ==> Ravager
Megaman (US) ==> Rockman (JP)
Resident Evil (US) ==> Biohazard (JP)
Alien Carnage ==> Halloween Harry
Descent ==> Inferno

I might find more name changes to post soon.

Back