• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some info for the big boned TRS-80 fans. Model ii,12,16,16b,6000

What about that GIDE board? Doesn't need a slot, but does need a bit of space above the CPU.

http://www.gaby.de/gide/GIDE.txt

Might interfere with the DMA that is used for the floppy for the II-series. (That's section 2.4 in the text file describing the GIDE, and it also describes a workaround). Also, it would have to use the programmed I/O access technique, as I don't think it has the facilities to do mode 2 interrupts, which the II-series requires for anything IRQ-driven. Now, the only II-series OS that I'm pretty sure uses IRQ-driven HD access is Xenix, and, with Xenix, you're already going to have a card cage for the 68K subsystem.... so it may be a moot point. I don't know whether the HD TRSDOS-II (TRSDOS 4.x) needs IRQ-driven HD access or not; I do know that LS-DOS 6.3.1 does NOT use IRQ I/O for the HD.

UPDATE: I contacted the person who is has the TRS-80/Tandy parts. Here is the status of the request.

Type 2 HD controllers still have not checked. Said he has been busy with real estate sales but promised he would check it out. Will advise
Model 12 card cages sorry he has none but would of course be willing to sell a Model 12 with a card cage.

Sorry not the best news.

If there are any other requests let me know.

Thanks for checking! I figured that a card cage upgrade kit would be a very unlikely thing to find.

And to think back in the day you could walk into any old radio shack and buy one. I imagine even back then it was a special order item. In fact, they probably required that you bring the computer in to get serviced.

Yep! It's status as a service part rather than something the end user just buys off the shelf makes it an even more rare bird.

Incidentally, I ordered a cheap GAL programmer from Amazon. Could come in handy if it becomes necessary to reproduce any of the PALs or PLAs in these beasts. Some of the equations are included in the service manuals.

Update: My contact has 3-4 of the type 2 Hard drive adapters available. For those who may be interested send a PM 1st 3 I will submit to him. And please as a courtesy if you already have a working one do not request another one. Give those who don't have 1 a chance. I will inform of pricing by PM. I will say the seller is in the Atlanta area. And in your PM please give full name so I may forward to him.

Seemed like there would some demand for these. I think you need the Type 2 for the FreHD. It imitates a WD controller the cheapo does not nut will work with LS-DOS but I see having to write custom drivers if you want Xenix to run.

Back