• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: 1.44MB drive for my PS/2 Model 25 (8086) & PS/2 model 25 setup disc.

sean1978

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a working 1.44 MB 3.5 drive to upgrade the 720K that's in my PS/2. I'm also looking for a Setup disk the same system. I live in New Orleans, LA. Thanks!

Do you also have an add-on floppy controller card? The built-in floppy controller on the Model 25 (8525-001 or 8525-004) only supports double density drives (720kB).
Edit: Seems you can. My mistake. It will take a miracle to find someone who has a matching 1.44 MB drive with the 40-pin combined data and power cable. There are a few threads here on how to create your own cable and use a normal floppy drive. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?24900-So-I-got-a-PS-2-Model-25

For the other, look at http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/25startdisks.htm

Last edited:
Besides another form member who said he ran a 1.44MB drive in his model 25 (8525-004) with no problems I'm pretty sure I put one into my original unit in 1993. I think I swapped the last one out of a model 30. Maybe I should just keep my eyes peeled for a non working model 30 around here on craigslist.

The model 25 supports 720k & 1.4Mb drives just fine. As has been mentioned though, finding a working one might not be that easy. I pulled my 1.44 drive from a dead model 30 so that can be done. Just be careful, there are a couple of different models of drive. Some earlier drives have an edge connector (Normally the taller drives with the large eject button) and the later drives have pins instead.

Cheers,
Dave

weren't there adapters built into the drive rail tray to convert "regular" 1.44 drives to work in a PS/2? I thought I remembered seeing them in my misc IBM PS/2 parts box...opens up the door to using a regular drive. Could be wrong.

There were early Model 25's that shipped with drives that had the edge connector and large eject button. Recently sold one which had this configuration. The later drives with pins were not as tall and required a sled which raised them up to the required height. All model 25's can be fitted with 1.44Mb drives and will happily format 1.44Mb & 720k disks.

I've not seen any of those adapters but I would imagine they would also need some sort of replacement plastic bezel?

Hmm... I thought 1.44mb drives in the 8525 functioned as 720kb drives. Probably something I should test one of these days!

Back