• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Could anyone use an IBM PS/2 touch display?

jmetal88

Veteran Member
I have an IBM Model 8516 PS/2 Touch Display that I've been sitting on for a couple of months, and I'm struggling to think of a reason I'd ever personally need to use it. I've hooked it up to my 486 and have verified that the display itself works, but I haven't made much of an attempt to test the touch component of it yet (there seems to be some incompatibility with the PS/2 mouse port on my 486 so I'd have to test it on a different system). If anyone's interested, let me know. Located in the Wichita KS area. I can ship if necessary, but you'd have to give me some time to find a sturdy box and proper packing materials.

Unfortunately, I can't find one of these that's been sold on eBay recently, so I'm not sure how to judge the value of it.

Okay, I just got one of my Zenith 386 machines set up to work with it and the touch interface seems to work fine (although the only program I've run with it so far is the calibration program included with the drivers). I can take pictures later if anyone wants them.

I'll bump this once, but I'm guessing there's no interest in this. I've played around with it a little bit and can confirm that the touch interface works under Windows 3.1 as well, but it's not super accurate even after calibration and really isn't very useful compared to a mouse. I'll probably keep it around if nobody wants it just because the color scheme kind of matches my XT clone, but I still can't really see myself actually using the touch interface for anything.

EDIT: I realized today I installed the driver improperly. It's actually quite usable now that I've installed it the correct way (instantly re-positions the mouse pointer under your finger when you touch rather than forcing you to drag it around like a touch pad). I also don't know if it's just my computer, but it always fails to work on a cold boot, so I have to CTRL+ALT+DELETE immediately after a cold boot to be able to use the thing.

Last edited:
Although I could certainly give it a good home, I would imagine that the shipping costs might be prohibitive. (Assuming of course that you'd be willing to ship it. I am located in the US, Illinois to be specific.)

I don't have an issue with shipping as long as someone actually wants to pay for shipping. But I need a bit to find a good, sturdy box and enough packing material to ensure it won't be damaged before I could even provide an estimate.

I don't know how well I trust UPS or FedEx to pack a monitor...
Why do you say that?

Have you had a bad experience with them?

If so, please, let us know!

I've shipped half a dozen multisyncs with FedEx and they did the packing. All arrived fine. I watched them pack them and they know how to do it. Now I know how to pack a monitor. :)

Why do you say that?

Have you had a bad experience with them?

If so, please, let us know!

I've shipped half a dozen multisyncs with FedEx and they did the packing. All arrived fine. I watched them pack them and they know how to do it. Now I know how to pack a monitor. :)

I've never used them for packing, I'm just going off the shape some of the packages I've ordered have arrived in. Maybe they do do alright with packing, I'm just not sure if I want to chance it.

Okay, for shipping estimates, you can assume I'll put it in an 18"x18"x18" box at a total weight of 40 lbs. Zip code of origin is 67037. Uxwbill, I would *guess* (I'm not exactly sure where you are in Indiana) shipping would be $40 to $50 to you. If that range sounds okay, you can PM me with an offer for the monitor and we'll work out the details.

I now have a box this will fit in.

I should probably note I have noticed a potential electrical problem with the monitor. The symptoms match what I'm accustomed to being the symptoms of an arcing flyback transformer (random surges in brightness, raster flickering) although I have done no troubleshooting to try and narrow down the issue. The symptoms occur very rarely, so I'm not sure they're worth worrying about for now.

Back