• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T 7300 Unix PC Mouse & Logitech serial mouse

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
As some of you may know I have been working on a Unix PC 7300. I have it operational and now would like to get the mouse working. I know the mouse
is a 3 button unit made by Logitech. I was wondering if a Logitech 3 button PC Serial mouse could be used in it's place.

I have looked at the insides of both mice and there are subtle differences. The Unix PC mouse has 5 wires coming in and the Logitech 9 pin serial mouse has
6 wires. 2 you can pretty much eliminate 5 V for the ROM and GND. So that leaves TX / RX / and the other signals most likely CTS or RTS? This is where I am lost. If any one has schematics or pin outs for either or both mice wiring diagrams please let me know. Or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

As some of you may know I have been working on a Unix PC 7300. I have it operational and now would like to get the mouse working. I know the mouse
is a 3 button unit made by Logitech. I was wondering if a Logitech 3 button PC Serial mouse could be used in it's place.

I have looked at the insides of both mice and there are subtle differences. The Unix PC mouse has 5 wires coming in and the Logitech 9 pin serial mouse has
6 wires. 2 you can pretty much eliminate 5 V for the ROM and GND. So that leaves TX / RX / and the other signals most likely CTS or RTS? This is where I am lost. If any one has schematics or pin outs for either or both mice wiring diagrams please let me know. Or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Use your logic analyzer to look at the protocol. The Logitech PC mouse protocol can be found in the tech manual on bitsavers.
Have you looked at how far Philip got into figuring out how the keyboard/mouse worked in his simulator? That is probably the
least documented part of the machine.

Does your AT&T mouse have a clearly labeled IC chip inside it? If so, what is the chips part number?

What exactly is wrong with your mouse anyway? Unless it let out the magic smoke or got run over by a forklift, just cleaning it out might help.

I have no idea off hand, but I would be mildly surprised if they didn't use a bus mouse design rather than serial.

Chromedome45,

I have worked with the AT&T 7300 / UNIX PC quite extensively over the past 2 years, as one of my restoration projects, and I have cleaned up a few of the mice that you are speaking of. I also have the 3-button Logitech you mention, and they are similar, yet different.

I have not done the research between these two Logitech mice, although I do know that some of the parts are interchangeable. I helped someone earlier this year by recommending that very Logitech model for a source for the infrared LEDs and sensors it uses for the spoke-wheels (please forgive me if I am mis-naming any of these parts).

Anyway, I'd be glad to see if any of my parts around here could be of help to you, if you can add more specifics to what is wrong with the AT&T Mouse that you have...or did you say you even had the AT&T Mouse?

If you are able to answer any of SumeGuy's questions above, I think several of us here could be of assistance.

Best,
-AJ
http://MightyFrame.com

I can't believe I missed that one...that was a fantastic price!

And Thank You, HoJoPo, for posting that link.

Last edited:
Back