• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Engineered Electronics tube module

jhopkins

Hei folks -- I've come across an Engineered Electronics tube-based rack with 45 tube modules including flip-flop units and others -- does anyone have information on this device? I've managed to come across some old catalogs for EECo where I can identify some of the modules/boards, but can't really find out much more about the unit other than it represents a rather rare unit that was produced for a short time during the rapid transition from tube to transistors in the very early 60s ...

IMG_0119.jpg

Hi there,

It looks interesting.

From your description you say its Engineered Electronic.

if this is correct then they were part of the Philbrick Group. see the following web link

http://www.philbrickarchive.org/eeco_1960.pdf

by limited view you have provided, it certainly looks like it consists of the Y series Computer Plugins.

Are there any other marking you can see on it ?

What about the valves ? are they marked IBM or RCA or maybe G.E.C or say Telefunken.

What county did you find it in please ? and what sort of place did you find it in ? answers to both Questions may lead to identifying its original use.

And what may I ask are your plans for it ?

regards
David
Australia

Engineering Electronics Y modules in Y-900 frame

Engineering Electronics Y modules in Y-900 frame

I think the frame is a Y-900 by Engineering Electronics and were about us$70 each in feb 1960

some of the Y modules Engineering Electronics made included:-

Y-100, Flip-Flop,
Y-101, Flip-Flop,
Y-102, Flip-Flop,
Y-103, Shift Register Element,
Y-104, One Shot,
Y-105, Cathode Follower (Quadruple) ,
Y-106, Heavy Duty Cathode Follower (Quad),
Y-107, Neon Driver,
Y-108, One Digit Adder Matrix,
Y-109, One Digit Subtractor Matrix,
Y-110, DC "NOT " Circuit,
Y-111, Delay Unit,
Y-112, Pulse Mixer Amplifier,
Y-113, Pulse Mixer Amplifier,
Y-115, Tape Write Amplifier,
Y-116, Tape Read Amplifer,
Y-118, Flip-Flop,
Y-119, Flip-Flop,
Y-124, -25V Bias Regulator,

If you dont wish to keep it and use it, I could be quite interested in it, to add as an extension to my EAI Pace TR-20 Analog computer made in 1964.

If you have further questions maybe I or some one else on this Forum that knows better the Philbrick Company and its subsidiaries, and give you help of answers.

Last edited:
Hei folks -- I've come across an Engineered Electronics tube-based rack with 45 tube modules including flip-flop units and others -- does anyone have information on this device? I've managed to come across some old catalogs for EECo where I can identify some of the modules/boards, but can't really find out much more about the unit other than it represents a rather rare unit that was produced for a short time during the rapid transition from tube to transistors in the very early 60s ...

jhopkins I nearly forgot to welcome you here, as I see this is your first post and you just joined VCF this October (2015).

I certainly hope you get enjoy interacting with other like minds here.

regards
David
Australia

You likely will never find information specific to your assembly. It almost certainly was a custom designed and built device, manufactured either by EECo or the customer that needed it.

These types of tube and transistor logic modules were very common in the 1950s and early 1960s, and were often found doing industrial automation duties - controlling machine tools, lab experiments, and so forth.

When minicomputers hit the right price, these companies that made these modules died out pretty fast. There were a lot of companies like this, but EECo was one of the bigger names.

--
Will

by limited view you have provided, it certainly looks like it consists of the Y series Computer Plugins.
Are there any other marking you can see on it ?
What about the valves ? are they marked IBM or RCA or maybe G.E.C or say Telefunken.
What county did you find it in please ? and what sort of place did you find it in ? answers to both Questions may lead to identifying its original use.
And what may I ask are your plans for it ?

Howdy folks -- thanks for your replies! -- yes, the modules I was able to generally identify from that EE 1960 catalog that is online -- a couple are custom from Sylvania:

3 - Y-900 Mounting frames

Y-900 Frame 1 - #101

15 - Y-101 Flip-Flops

Y-900 Frame 2 - #120

Y-910 2 w/ fabricated contents
Y-910
Y-910 - empty (no circuits)
Sylvania Pulse Driver M1007-2-6w;
Sylvania M1023-0-FL Pulse Shaper;
Y-912;
Y-912;
Y-910;
Y-910;
Y-910;
Y-910;
[undesignated]
[undesignated]
Y-108 - One Digit Added Matrix
Y-108 - One Digit Added Matrix

Y-900 Frame 3 - #126

15 - Y-101 Flip-Flops

The tubes seem in good shape -- RCA 5963s and 5965s (and some others, I haven't pulled each one to identify and (carefully!) clean)

I'll be documenting each module with photographs of each side for circuit analysis... Unfortunately I have basically no testing gear for any of this :-(

THere is a 1963 catalog for EE online -- by then they carried no tube-based components...

After fully documenting what I can, I will put it up for an ebay auction (need the $$). It is becoming apparent that it is quite rare as a 'complete' unit...

Back