• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS-2 Model 30-286 Loading DOS 5 onto HDD

I am unable to load DOS 5 onto the HDD of my PS-2.
Attempted to reload 20MB HD with IBM DOS 5.0. *Appears that IPL process cannot connect to DOS. IPL to HD results in blank screen.
*IPL 30-286 Adv Diag Dskt. *Run Set-Up. *Back-Up Config to dskts. IPL Adv Diag to activate changes. *'SYS C:' to transfer system files to HD. *Format C:/s. *Loads 'Command.Com' to HD. *'FDISK' Drive 'S' partition 1 is active for PRI DOS.
*IPL IBM DOS 5.0, 1 of 3 dskts. *Set-Up now complete. *'DIR C:' *command.com 48025, DOS <DIR>, WINA20.386,
CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT.
Cannot IPL HD.

Attempted to reload 20MB HD with IBM DOS 5.0. *Appears that IPL process cannot connect to DOS. IPL to HD results in blank screen.
*IPL 30-286 Adv Diag Dskt. *Run Set-Up. *Back-Up Config to dskts. IPL Adv Diag to activate changes. *'SYS C:' to transfer system files to HD. *Format C:/s. *Loads 'Command.Com' to HD. *'FDISK' Drive 'S' partition 1 is active for PRI DOS.
*IPL IBM DOS 5.0, 1 of 3 dskts. *Set-Up now complete. *'DIR C:' *command.com 48025, DOS <DIR>, WINA20.386,
CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT.
Cannot IPL HD.

Are you just using "IPL" on your own (it's an old mainframe term for "Initial Program Load") or is that what your copy of DOS is actually saying?

Are you just using "IPL" on your own (it's an old mainframe term for "Initial Program Load") or is that what your copy of DOS is actually saying?
You are right, my use of IPL goes back to other days.
Replace IPL with 'Hard Boot' (Power up and boot diskette), or 'Soft Boot' (Ctrl, Alt, Del).

:D. Some success. I used a similar process, as listed previously, on a different veggie 20MB HDD. *Successful reload of DOS 5.0.
Was able to boot and process from HDD.
Will do additional procedures on failing HDD to try to reload DOS to it.
Projects are backing up on me - Will update after holiday.

Yes, HD passed diags.
I have now been successful in reloading 2 20mb drives.
Not sure of my problem. Possible mis-match of system configuration with 2 diskette drives on system.
Removed 1 and went thru procedure and reloads were successful.

PS-2, Mod 30-286 Load HD.

PS-2, Mod 30-286 Load HD.

I am unable to load DOS 5 onto the HDD of my PS-2.
Have now reloaded DOS to 2-20MB Drives. Problem may have been procedural or configuration mismatch with 2 dskt drives on system. Removed 1 dskt drive. Configuration is now 20MB HD, 1-1.44 diskette drive, 1 MB memory.
(Did not use Mod 30-286 Starter Diskette). Diskettes used: PS-2 Mod 30-286 Advanced Diagnostics, IPL enabled DOS 5.0, IBM DOS 5.0 diskettes #1, 2, 3.
*1. IPL-Adv Diag Dskt., Set Date and Time. Set Configuration and back-up config to 3 referenced diskettes.
*2. IPL-Adv Diag Dskt. to restart system and activate configuration. Run Diag Test on Drive C:, Format Drive C:, run Surface Analysis on Drive C:, will flag defective cylinders.
*3. IPL-IPL enabled DOS 5.0, Run FDISK, Display partitions for reference, Create DOS partitions.
*4. IPL-IPL enabled DOS 5.0. Run FDISK to display and verify correct partitions.
*5. IPL-IBM DOS 5.0 Dskt #1 of 3. Run Set-Up. Select Shell or No-shell. (Message-"Partition C is unformatted"). Select Format Partition. Format C:
*6. Set-Up now installs a basic 'IBM DOS' system to C:. Use Dskts IBM DOS 5.0 #1,2,3. Set-Up complete. Remove Dskt, 'Enter' to start DOS from C:.
*7. As desired - make changes to files and load user programs. Files - Autoexec.Bat, Config.Sys.

Back