• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

An Obvious Fraud?

Well some one thought it was worth a bid. Rather more than I would want to pay for an 8F. You can't post that 2nd class, its too big. I would want to collect at that price...

From a different seller?

It is possible a sale fell through and the seller re-listed it, some sellers may have different accounts.

Although it's not too uncommon for sellers to copy information when they don't understand what they are selling. But unless someone is selling bulk quantities of identical items, it is very bad form not to use an actual photo.

For a very short listing, it could easily be that potential bidders already have direct knowledge of the specific item. (like how much drugs are stuffed inside :p )

If it's for real it's madness to list for such a short time. A good condition 8 will pick up lots of bids over a period of many days and the final price on this is half the previous one.

I don't think it's for real! Caveat Emptor!

I just thought I'd chime in and reveal that I'm the winning bidder, and that it was indeed a scam. (I've been sent a phishing email asking for bank transfer after the seller refused to accept paypal and claimed the item was "already with FedEx")

Obviously I haven't paid, and the police should be investigating soon...

"Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good" - Ray Parker Jr.

Both sellers have limited feedback and are in very different locations. First one looks genuine, has sold other items that fit in with the profile. I wondered if the second had bought it and was looking to make a quick buck, but if so they failed.

Classic holidays scam. You find something that sold for a decent amount, list is with the same pics and details and listing time is very short (so ebay does not have time to find it and delete it), and then scam the buyer.

not a winner

not a winner

I just thought I'd chime in and reveal that I'm the winning bidder, and that it was indeed a scam. (I've been sent a phishing email asking for bank transfer after the seller refused to accept paypal and claimed the item was "already with FedEx")

Obviously I haven't paid, and the police should be investigating soon...

"Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good" - Ray Parker Jr.

I smelt a rat, emailled delboy and told him I had seen the same photo/text etc in a recent previous sale - what was going on?

The reply was
New message from: delboy2706 (46Yellow Star)
yes i can do that but tell me your best offer

Regards !

Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 03:46:23 -0700

did not seem worth chasing

Once the ebay staff see the forwarded phising email, I'm sure it will result in a perma-ban.

It's hard to say if the police will bother with it; the seller's email address is liked to a California business (which is backed up by the [possibly fake] timestamps in the emails), so it's probably a hacked account.

I smelt a rat, emailled delboy ..............

I too asked him a couple of questions:
- what boards does it have
- what key do you have

No reply so I assumed it was a fake.
Any real seller of an item like this would have the info at his fingertips.

Well I should chime in here as I bought the original eBay item and collected it a couple of months back. Sold by a really nice chap who used to run a business servicing DEC equipment back in the day. This machine belonged to his business partner who recently died and sold on behalf of his widow.

Here she is...
DSC02306_s_zpsc1xoydul.jpg

Sorry to hear that you were scammed TJ_Mossman. Really hope some action will be taken against the seller.

Well I should chime in here as I bought the original eBay item and collected it a couple of months back. Sold by a really nice chap who used to run a business servicing DEC equipment back in the day. This machine belonged to his business partner who recently died and sold on behalf of his widow.

Here she is...
View attachment 28135

Sorry to hear that you were scammed TJ_Mossman. Really hope some action will be taken against the seller.

Oh don't worry about me, I knew what was going on before I won. This was just to waste the scammer's time.

Heh, now we just have more proof it was a fraud!

Back