• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Barter Proposal: Custom vintage gaming PC for a piece of drum gear

rbgrn

Experienced Member
I have a large collection of vintage computers from the 80s and 90s. They are absolutely awesome for playing those early PC DOS games on. I would be willing to part with one in exchange for a specific double bass drum pedal - the Tama Speed Cobra HP910LSW. I'd be fine with a used one in good condition. Here is a link to the product page: http://www.soundpure.com/p/tama-spe...sNf9BA2JC-u7BY1LOIBDRg6FQMRJ-6Cfm0aAmBx8P8HAQ

So about your computer, here are your options:
Mid-tower or desktop case (AT style)
286, 386, 486 or Pentium 1
For a 286, you'll get around 1MB of RAM and a basic VGA video card
For a 386 or 486, you'll get either 4mb or 8mb and a VGA video card with 512kb or 1mb of RAM
For a pentium, you'll get either 16 or 32mb and a PCI video card with > 1mb of RAM

All machines will get an IDE hard drive, 1.44mb floppy and soundblaster compatible sound card. All machines will be preinstalled with DOS 6.22 unless otherwise specified, tested and ready to go. Other options are available upon request - let's make a deal.

Please contact me via email if you're interested in this. You do not need to own this pedal right now but you would need to buy it so we can make the trade. I've seen them sold for as low as $279 new and $240 used so this is a good deal if you're a good shopper. You pay shipping on the pedal (or just have it sent to me with free shipping) and I'll pay shipping on the PC - obviously you'll come out ahead in that race :)

PC is guaranteed great working condition on delivery, no problems. I have plenty of parts so if you did have an issue, I'd remedy it for you without worry.

I'd like to make this trade before christmas and am looking forward to talking to you!

Cheers

I have a first gen Tama double Iron Cobra but I'm not parting with it :p

Also I'm not sure an old generic PC is quite worth $300...maybe if you had a LAPC in it...

Well, I'd be happy to make a deal with someone. I don't have an LAPC but I have many soundblasters, MTCP compatible ethernet adapters and other things to make it a fun machine to own.

So perhaps you aren't the right person, but there are others who would love this machine. I have a great selection of classic early 90s cases.

I have a first gen Tama double Iron Cobra but I'm not parting with it :p

Also I'm not sure an old generic PC is quite worth $300...maybe if you had a LAPC in it...
Hah... tell that to the guys like socaleer on ebay who have made a living for years selling just such setups for $200-500. That guy gets 3-4 sales a week, and back when you could see what people had purchased, you'd often see that he was buying the systems (and their operating systems) for cheap off of ebay, then configuring them and reselling them as vintage gaming machines, with a warranty, a game, keyboard, mouse, and legitimate OS for big bucks.

A nice racket... one that I thought of joining. Until I found out through a friend that this guy goes around reporting EVERY vintage gaming computer he sees that doesn't have a legit OS license included so he can corner the market, so to speak.

That's weird, MS-DOS nor Win 3.1 never had a product key. There is no way to know that it wasn't purchased legally back in the early 90s. They only started doing that with Windows 95.

Win 3.1 install floppies had something special on disk 1 because my Win 95 Upgrade CD would only install over a legitimate copy of 3.1 and I could install 95 on a blank hard drive if I inserted 3.1 disk 1 as proof of purchase when installer checked for validity.

Larry G

A nice racket... one that I thought of joining. Until I found out through a friend that this guy goes around reporting EVERY vintage gaming computer he sees that doesn't have a legit OS license included so he can corner the market, so to speak.

I had auctions terminated by this guy a few times. Finally ended up buying what I'm pretty sure was a lot of counterfeit DOS 6.22 and WfW 3.11 CoAs to get him to back off. Apparently an original set of OEM labeled install disks wasn't enough, and he was a big enough seller (and I a small enough seller) that eBay seemed to terminate my listings without question.

There's a guy who does the same thing with tube amps. You'd better not mention a homebrew/custom amp having a similar topology to *anything* commercial, or your listing gets canned.

Yeah.. it's sad. Legit disks does not a license make, I guess. Yet somehow he manages to get a legit OS license with EVERY one of the 600+ computers that he's sold over the last two years.

I call bullshit - I think he's running off copies of licenses :)

Of course, the solution... FreeDOS. Though might not be as sexy of a selling point.

Either he's running off copies, or he's come across some huge stockpile of licenses. Not like anyone would ever try to catch someone for non-genuine DOS licenses, plus how would you ever prove it?

Back