• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bought a used PCjr, it powers up but nothing happens.

The high pitched tone that the monitor was making is gone now, though I can't be sure it was the CPU that did it.
Also, the monitor does make a humming sound when it's not plugged into the PCjr which disappears after I plug it in, I'm not sure if that means anything.

That actually sounds (pun intended) like progress. However, it also slightly confirms that there might be loose joints or bad traces on the motherboard. You may want to take advantage of previous offers for replacement motherboards.

I actually don't own a TV

$5 at goodwill. I'm just saying ;-)

I wouldn't be so quick to just find another motherboard; it's not like they are making new ones.

See if you can spot damage on the current motherboard. It might be easily repaired. Look for stray metal bridging traces or chip legs. Look for swollen or leaking capacitors. Examine the resistors and the other component for burn damage.

There is not much that can go wrong on these things. Some corrosion on the metal parts is normal. Burnt up areas would be much more of a red flag.

Radio Shack used to sell this can of stuff. The last can I bought had a brush on the end. You may want to purchase it from them or somewhere online. Or perhaps use paint/lacquer thinner or alcohol. Remove socketed chips, use a q-tip or some other means to clean out the sockets, wipe down the pins of the ic's. You can damped a rag or sponge (I'd try alcohol for starter, or the electronic cleaning solution) and drag the chip's pins over it. Handle only the black epoxy if at all possible. I have fixed a computer at least once by removing the socketed chips, placing them next to their point of origin, and washing down the whole board. Worked like a charm. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you allow exerything to dry completely. Leave the whole mess near the stove, or on a sunny day leave it in the sun.

I think BG-MICRO still has a bunch of PC era chips for sale. Maybe Jameco or JDR, whichever one is still around. You won't have to break the bank.

Of what interest was a Peanut to you that you went and bought one?

edit: there is as we type a discussion on the hp_agilent_equipment yahoo group about rubbing, isopropyl, etc. alcohol. I scanned it quickly, apparently the 2 differ, or may, therefore if at all possible look for isopropyl alcohol. Chemistry wizards and everything else, blah blah blah. Any sort of solvent should work, but thinner for instance is a little waxy, that is may leave a film, to be avoided if possible. There's also carburetor or brake parts cleaner. One guy on the vintage mac mailing list said he's wash his boards down with one of them. I wouldn't do that, but I would soak a q-tip or sponge in the stuff and utilize sparingly. If that's even your problem. In the olden days before they got their metallurgy right, unseating and reseating a circuit card was known to fix things up right nice. For a while until oxidation, likely due to humidity, once again reared it's ugly head.

Last edited:
That actually sounds (pun intended) like progress. However, it also slightly confirms that there might be loose joints or bad traces on the motherboard. You may want to take advantage of previous offers for replacement motherboards.

$5 at goodwill. I'm just saying ;-)

I tried pushing down on all the chips but it made no difference.

You're right, then maybe I can re-donate it to them after testing :D

I wouldn't be so quick to just find another motherboard; it's not like they are making new ones.

See if you can spot damage on the current motherboard. It might be easily repaired. Look for stray metal bridging traces or chip legs. Look for swollen or leaking capacitors. Examine the resistors and the other component for burn damage.

There is not much that can go wrong on these things. Some corrosion on the metal parts is normal. Burnt up areas would be much more of a red flag.

It would definitely be more satisfying to fix the one I have now, somehow.
I looked the motherboard over and a bunch of the capacitors we're bent over but otherwise they seemed in good condition. I couldn't find any discernible burn damage on the motherboard but judging from the case it has felt some heat in the past. I don't know to what extent this is normal.

DSC06325a.jpg

The J J LK L PT ports are definitely messed up. Although I don't know it this should hinder the machine booting up, they seem to be in bad shape.

DSC06324a.jpg

Radio Shack used to sell this can of stuff. The last can I bought had a brush on the end. You may want to purchase it from them or somewhere online. Or perhaps use paint/lacquer thinner or alcohol. Remove socketed chips, use a q-tip or some other means to clean out the sockets, wipe down the pins of the ic's. You can damped a rag or sponge (I'd try alcohol for starter, or the electronic cleaning solution) and drag the chip's pins over it. Handle only the black epoxy if at all possible. I have fixed a computer at least once by removing the socketed chips, placing them next to their point of origin, and washing down the whole board. Worked like a charm. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you allow exerything to dry completely. Leave the whole mess near the stove, or on a sunny day leave it in the sun.

I think BG-MICRO still has a bunch of PC era chips for sale. Maybe Jameco or JDR, whichever one is still around. You won't have to break the bank.

Thanks, I'll try this next.

I've been wanting to get an old IBM compatible to play around with for a while and although the PCjr was a flop it somehow appeals to me. I got a boxed copy of Wizardy and I was hoping to hook it up to telnet, but I'll have to first get it running somehow.

The metallic coating on the case always looks terrible, and it has little to do with heat. That is totally normal.

Those pins can be pushed back into position. That is what happens when people do not be careful when plugging things in.

Pull every option out of the system leaving just the power supply and the motherboard itself. You should hear it beep once within 20 seconds if it's okay.

I think the jr is a very repairable machine. There's really only the video gate array chip that is special on it... everything else is available off the shelf.

Oh yeah, if it doesn't work right away...

gently press on each chip while turning the system on. I was able to find the issue on my motherboard a bit easier by doing this. In my case mine would beep twice with no video and that was it. Mine ended up being a busted CAS delay line.

edit: there is as we type a discussion on the hp_agilent_equipment yahoo group about rubbing, isopropyl, etc. alcohol. I scanned it quickly, apparently the 2 differ, or may, therefore if at all possible look for isopropyl alcohol. Chemistry wizards and everything else, blah blah blah. Any sort of solvent should work, but thinner for instance is a little waxy, that is may leave a film, to be avoided if possible. There's also carburetor or brake parts cleaner. One guy on the vintage mac mailing list said he's wash his boards down with one of them. I wouldn't do that, but I would soak a q-tip or sponge in the stuff and utilize sparingly. If that's even your problem. In the olden days before they got their metallurgy right, unseating and reseating a circuit card was known to fix things up right nice. For a while until oxidation, likely due to humidity, once again reared it's ugly head.

Following your advice I removed the 4 socketed chips I found, cleaned them and let them dry. However, after reinserting them, still nothing.

Oh yeah, if it doesn't work right away...

gently press on each chip while turning the system on. I was able to find the issue on my motherboard a bit easier by doing this. In my case mine would beep twice with no video and that was it. Mine ended up being a busted CAS delay line.

I tried this with every chip on the motherboard, including the ones soldered on, still no beep :sad3:

I finally got my PCjr running! Turns out it was just a bad power brick in the end.

File 23-02-16 20 30 39.jpg

Of course I instantly encountered a new problem, and I'm still not able to play Wizardry.
The problem is that it won't load any of the disks I have. Wizardry is a self-booting game, so it should work without a DOS disk. However, the fist time I tried to load it I got this strange error message:

File 23-02-16 20 29 42.jpg

Every time I tried to load it after that it would tell me the following:

"Wizardry for the IBM-PC
Disk Read Error_"

With the system came a variety of other disks which showed a variety of other errors. I think it's likely that the disks are just corrupt, or could it be the drive itself?
Well, I've been having fun playing with cassette basic, but it won't even let me save any of the awesome coding I did with my Hands on BASIC for the IBM PCjr book.
Hopefully you guys can help me out once again.

Possibly caused by dirty floppy drive rails preventing the head from moving freely.

The PCjr floppy drive needs regular cleaning and possibly lubing of the drive rails. I used to have a PCjr and whenever disc errors would start....
I would clean the rails with a Q-tip and alcohol , allow them to dry, and apply a very small amount of silicone lubricant. Not a good idea to spray
anything directly on the rails, I would spray the silicone onto a Q-tip then apply to the rails.

Try those disks in a PC. The problem may be the PCjr.
Sadly, that PCjr is the only thing I have with a 5.25" drive.

Possibly caused by dirty floppy drive rails preventing the head from moving freely.

The PCjr floppy drive needs regular cleaning and possibly lubing of the drive rails. I used to have a PCjr and whenever disc errors would start....
I would clean the rails with a Q-tip and alcohol , allow them to dry, and apply a very small amount of silicone lubricant. Not a good idea to spray
anything directly on the rails, I would spray the silicone onto a Q-tip then apply to the rails.
Thanks, I'm going to pick up some silicone lubricant this weekend and give this a try. The disk drive does sound pretty noisy.

Of course I instantly encountered a new problem, and I'm still not able to play Wizardry.

Wizardry, if you are trying to boot the original 1984 version (which the screenshot looks like) and not the later re-release, is a horrible choice to test a compatible system -- it does not play nice with floppy controllers that aren't 100% identical to IBM's controller. I had issues with it on my AT&T 6300, and I would be shocked if it worked on a PCjr which lacks DMA. The later 1987 release is nicer to compatible hardware, although I haven't tested it on a PCjr.

Try booting a DOS disk to see if the system can boot from the drive at all. If not, clean the drive rails and run the built-in floppy diags (hit ctrl-alt-ins to enter them, hit enter to start disk test, insert known good blank/formatted floppy, type "MPNP" as the code, if you get an asterisk on the main screen it passed; read online docs to figure out how all the tests work) to test the drive. Once the drive passes, try booting some other games before finally returning to Wizardry.

Later version of Wizardry is around in various places.

Very interesting, did the sequels have similar issues? I'm pretty sure my copy is the 1987 one, since it has a big gold "New Edition!!!" sticker on it. Also, the silver sticker actually says that it's PCjr compatible so I'm pretty sure that's not the thing giving me issues.

I have a DOS 4.1 disk but it wont boot either. This weekend I'm going to clean the drive and I have a factory sealed box disks which I can use for the test. Wizardry is the only game I have right now and I don't have any means to write disk images to 5.25" disks. Eventually I'd like to get a MicroSolutions Backpack 3.5" drive for my PCjr so I can share disks with a USB drive on my laptop. I know I could just get some cheap old PC, but my wife will get pissed if I start turning our little apartment into a computer museum :D

I'm pretty sure my copy is the 1987 one, since it has a big gold "New Edition!!!" sticker on it. Also, the silver sticker actually says that it's PCjr compatible so I'm pretty sure that's not the thing giving me issues.

If that's the case, then I agree your issue is likely a malfunctioning drive. Still, test with your DOS disk first before trying Wizardry. Do you have any other bootable disks you can try? If not, a means to obtain one?

I have a couple of bootable disks, I'll try to run those first. The only way I can currently get new disks is by ordering them online

Hey, if you want to start something along those lines to see if it flies you can count on my support.

What, starting a new online community, or starting up a bootable diskette sampler mailing service? If the former, you're a cheeky bastard ;-) but if the latter, there's not enough demand.

I look forward to the OP's report on how lubricating the drive rails and checking the drive belt goes. PCjrs may have been cheap and flimsy, but they were IBM CHEAP AND FLIMSY which is a much more robust form of cheap and flimsy. Most of my PCjr repairs have been without any major incidents.

Haha, I do indeed know of a online community of vintage computer enthusiasts and I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you guys for your support!

File 25-02-16 07 16 38.jpg

I've never cleaned disk drive rails before, but by the looks of it I can just get in there with a cotton swab and clean it up without disassembling anything. It definitely looks grimy in there, so regardless of whether it was causing my problems it should still have a good cleaning. I'll report back this weekend after I've acquired some silicone lubricant.

Back