• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 12 BUS BOARD

I will do it.
But I do not want a new changes !!

For your information a I.C. 74LSxxx can Commender 4 to 6 I.C. 74LSxx
So I think it should be buffered the "HANS-04 PCB" otherwise the signals will collapse after 2 additional cards

Je vais le faire. mais je ne veux plus de nouvelles modifications!!
Pour ton information un C.I. 74LSxxx ne peut commender que 4 à 6 C.I. 74LSxx
Donc je pense qu'il faudrat buffériser le "PCB HANS-04" sinon les signaux vont s'écrouler après 2 cartes supplémentaires

P.V. is busy now to solve your wishes but told me that
further changes are not possible after this.

If you need the, hard to get, resistor arrays from Brourns the 4116R-2-391LF, you can get them at mouser.com.
(attention it must be the -2- version)

P.H, I'm genuinely sorry if my request is causing you grief. It is only a wish. Please only work on what you enjoy doing. That's what I do. Your work is very much appreciated by the community.

P.V. is busy now to solve your wishes but told me that
further changes are not possible after this.

If you need the, hard to get, resistor arrays from Brourns the 4116R-2-391LF, you can get them at mouser.com.
(attention it must be the -2- version)

For information,
I work on the project.
You can put resistors or resistor networks like DIL
If I do not make mistakes

Pour information,
Je travaille sur le projet.
Vous pourrez mettre des résistances ou des réseaux de résistances type DIL
Si je ne fais pas d'erreurs

For information,
I work on the project.
You can put resistors or resistor networks like DIL 4116R-1-391
If I do not make mistakes

Pour information,
Je travaille sur le projet.
Vous pourrez mettre des résistances ou des réseaux de résistances type DIL 4116R-1-391
Si je ne fais pas d'erreurs

@all

Today I have modified my Model 12 and build the hans-03 and hans-04 in the machine.
I could mount the 3 slot hans-03 just behind the original videocard and connect it
with two short flatcables with the hans-04 that was mounted in the videoslot.

I inserted the videocard in the first slot of the hans-03 and my hans-01 harddisk card in slot 2
and leave slot 3 empty.

The machine booted in the normal way and has no problems, the harddisk run without any problem.
The conclusion is: It works just as I expected.:D

To show you the positive results are here some pictures.

HPIM0271.jpg HPIM0272.jpg HPIM0273.jpg HPIM0274.jpg HPIM0276.jpg

Conclusion:

The idea of extending the bus for the Model 12 is possible.
It should work for al the machines with the same bus
Only tested with the described hardware and two slots occupied.
As I don't have any other machine and no more extension card is this all I can test.
If you going to use it, read all that is written about this.
Check everything double and in doubt don't do it.
Absolutely no warranty !!!!!!!!!

I have another possible use for the Hans03. I have a spare Model II card cage. What if I join together (2) Hans03 adapters using 40pin cables. Plug one end into the Model 12 mainboard connector. Plug the other end into the first slot of the Model II motherboard. All of the card cage slots should now be active. I'll still have to do some trimming and sheet metal work.

Thoughts?

@kyeakel

The first release of the PCB was drawn by P.H.
I have a few boards and IAN has a few too.
They are bare boards and you have to build them yourself.

The hans-01 is a harddisk controller for the Io-Tech ide harddisk and you need this PCB too.
The hans-02 is an advanced hans-01, I have a few here.
The hans-03 plus hans-04 makes a bus extender for the "bus-less" Model 12 and for more handy bus expansions.
They will be sold by Ian.

@pski

Sorry but I don't see what you want.
Please supply a simple drawing and I'll take a look.

Hi Pete.

It's good to see that more people are thinking about the possibilities of the new pcbs.
It seems possible to me, but there could be some small problems with buslines 13,14,15 and 16
They setup a daisy chain for interrupts.
hans-03 has two jumpers on these lines to disable them, if you don't need them.
It could be possible that you have to cross the 'in' with the 'out'. Just carefully try it.

I have running hans-03 with a 3 slots hans-04 for a day now.
I have the videoboard in slot 1 and hans-01 (Io-tech ide) in slot 2.
No problems and running at the first attempt.
With DOS 4.20 during boot the software keeps waiting for the Io-Tech.
If I remove the DOM the boot continues, maybe a starting point to use the DOM with DOS 4.20 ??
If I have some time I'll check the possibilities.

After some delay, Hans-02, -03 and -04 are available for purchase.

Email me what you need. At this stage I've just got the PCBs, am still sourcing the parts to build them up for people who would prefer to buy pre-built devices.

(Hans-02 and -04 I have the parts and can send them out, as well as make the cable assemblies to join Hans-03 to Hans-04). Hans-03 has many parts which I don't have on hand and when I find them it may take a little while for them to arrive at this time of year...

Talk to me, I'll see what I can make happen... :)

Hans-2-3-4.jpg

Ian.

Can the schematics and board layouts be posted? I'd like to have them to identify unknown parts. I'm near completion with the assembly phase, still need to mount and make boot disk etc. I can't see from the pictures that are in this thread, is the power connector on the Han03 connected or is it bus powered?

Kipp

Here are some pictures of my Model 12 build. I have designed and printed a card cage so that the cards are accessible from the rear panel. The cage sides also act as spacers keeping the backplane off the aluminum. If anyone is interested I can upload the .STL files so you can print your own.
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0737.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg

Kipp

Here are some pictures of my Model 12 build. I have designed and printed a card cage so that the cards are accessible from the rear panel. The cage sides also act as spacers keeping the backplane off the aluminum. If anyone is interested I can upload the .STL files so you can print your own.
Kipp

Yes, wow! Please entertain us with the details of how you created this cage. 3D printing I imagine?

Yes, I have several 3d printers. I used a MakerGear M2 to print the cage. It's actually 2 parts, a right and left half, the only difference between them is the length from the mounting holes to the edge of the plug-in card. I used Cubify Invent to build the 3d model, which then is used to create the STL files that are printed.
I also modified the original aluminum housing to allow the cables to connect to the backplane and to allow access to the cards from the rear panel. This was done the old fashioned way, jig saw and file.

I have now completed this portion of the build and reinstalled the video card. The machine works as before. Next step is adding the Hans-02 and lo-tech ide adapter. I will probably need to add a support frame to extend this card to meet the rails of the cage.

Kipp

@Kipp.

Beautifull job you have done. :D If I had a 3d printer, more experiance and time, I would rebuild my Model 12 bus expension
The power connector on the hans-03 is to supply power to the bus if you need extra power.
The power connector on the hans-01 and hans-02 are to supply power to the Lo-Tech ide adapter.

Back