• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T3100e/40 - install MS DOS 5.0

twqwctf

Hi everyone, I have a working Toshiba T3100e/40 (286, 1MB Ram). Toshiba MS-DOS 3.3 is installed on the hard drive. Works just fine. Also have the Toshiba provided MS-DOS 3.3 floppy boot - works also.

I took a 1.44HD floppy (taped the hole - to make it appear as a DD), formatted as 720k in my Pentium I machine. Wrote the 1st image of MS-DOS 5 to it. I booted from the floppy on the Pentium I machine. Works.

Now I am hoping to boot this MS-DOS 5 floppy on the Tosbiba T3100e/40. However when I attempt to boot from the same floppy I just created, I get the 'Non system disk' error.

Anyone know why?

Last edited:
Ugh, getting this error when I try this:

C>format b:
Insert new diskette for drive B:
and strike ENTER when ready

Invalid parameter

C>

IMG_0766-W1280.jpg

C>format b:
Why B? What floppy is A?
The T3100e technical manual indicates that the T3100e has an 'A/B/PRT' switch. Based on the description of the switch (it controls the functionality of an external connector), I expect that the switch needs to be in either the 'B' position or the 'PRT' position so that the internal diskette drive is A:

Well I'll be. The switch on the right side was set to A. I have switched it to B. Now the computer uses A: for the floppy. AND this allows me to boot from this MS-DOS floppy. It does not work when drive is set as B:
IMG_0767-W1280.jpg

Right well the computer boots B: using the provided Toshiba MS-DOS 3.3 boot floppy. But not MS-DOS 5 vanilla and others. Thanks!

Back