• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PC10-III: CGA on a mono monitor?

AlexC

Experienced Member
This PC has a Paradise PVC4 graphics chip, which I think is like an ATI Small Wonder. As far as I'm aware that means it can do emulated MDA/Hercules graphics on a CGA monitor. But the reverse appears not to be true: it can't do hardware-emulated CGA on a mono monitor.

I have tried, using gs.com and vset.exe, but when I put the chip into 'emulated' mode (or 132-column text mode) the screen goes blank and/or whines as though the frequency is out of range (which it probably is). Fiddling with the four DIP switches at the back has a similar effect. This is true with both the mono monitors I own.

So, to save me further effort, am I stuck with using software CGA emulation on this system? That's no big deal really, but I'd like to be sure that I'm not missing something.

What type of "mono" monitor are you using? Most will do MDA/Hercules only, but there are also some that will do CGA or even EGA. So it really depends on the monitor. It must support 15 KHz for CGA to work.

They're both MDA/Hercules. But I can run CGA games on here using software CGA emulation, and I wanted to check that this chip can't do that itself, but slightly better. I'm pretty sure it can do MDA/Hercules on a CGA monitor, without changing the output frequency. I hoped it could also do the reverse, but I suspect not.

The very first ATI Graphics Wonder was sold as a Commodore OEM, but there has never been any picture of one posted on the internet. I am very curious to see how your card looks like if it indeed is a Graphics Wonder!

The Graphics Wonder came in serveral versions. I have little experience with the older small wonders, but the later Single-Chip versions are fully software configurable and I'm pretty sure it does at least some kind of MDA/Hercules emulation on a CGA monitor.

But again, that's regular MDA/Hercules. I seem to remember the manual saying something about 132 column mode being incompatible with emulated modes, but this can be investigated.

I've dug out the manual and read the appendices carefully. Looks like this chip can't do what the Small Wonder can do after all. You can have CGA/Plantronics with a CGA or multisync monitor, and MDA/Hercules with an MDA/mono monitor, but it can't emulate one to the other. The four switches at the back have a different purpose to those on the Small Wonder. Shame, but at least now I know.

The very first ATI Graphics Wonder was sold as a Commodore OEM, but there has never been any picture of one posted on the internet. I am very curious to see how your card looks like if it indeed is a Graphics Wonder!

The Graphics Wonder came in serveral versions. I have little experience with the older small wonders, but the later Single-Chip versions are fully software configurable and I'm pretty sure it does at least some kind of MDA/Hercules emulation on a CGA monitor.

This one's built into the motherboard of the PC10-III and I believe also other models in the Commodore range. Photos here. Unfortunately I think this model was too early to have the emulation features. It's not a big deal, but I'd have thought that CGA emulated in hardware by the graphics chip would be more effective than by a TSR, so it would be nice to have it.

Back