• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Connecting a 68PIN SCSI HDD to a 50PIN Controller

I've done the other direction, and for some reason always thought that some drives would let you do what you're trying to do, and some won't. I'm not sure where I would get that idea.

If it works, I'd sure be happy to know, because I've got gigabytes of Amiga hard drives that I can't access anymore since my CSPPC gave up the ghost.

To answer your second question, I'd guess no. I think that's made specifically to adapt an 80 pin drive to a 68 or 50 pin bus.

I have connected several 68-pin SCSI hard drives to 50-pin SCSI controllers of various types.

A while back I bought a box of 68-pin male / 50-pin male SCSI adapters in a straight through inline configuration, similar to these HP 5182-4551 adapters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221669016370

I paid around $5 each for the quantity I bought.

-Glen

The key is to get a converter that will properly terminate the unused lines on the wider device. Some of the cheaper converters did not properly terminate the extra lines, so they often did not work - it was dependent on how the drive dealt with the signals floating.

Older SCSI devices are awesome that way. With the right series of adapters you can cobble up almost anything. (Assuming that speed is not important. Putting a slow 8 bit device on a fast wide chain will cause some degradation for all of the devices.)

Oh, and be careful! The linked adapter is probably not what you want!

That adapter lets you connect an 80 pin SCA connector style drive to a 50 pin or 68 pin internal device chain. SCA connector drives are nice because power and signal are all in the connector and the placement of the connector was standardized, eliminating the need for cables if your machine accepted that type of drive. But that's higher end enterprise class equipment usually.

Something like this might be closer to what you want, but I can't tell if it does the termination of the high lines from the picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151943875781

Grr ... fooled by the label. Clearly it does not match the contents ...

The adapters that are just 68 pin to 50 pin work only if the drive you are using works in SE (single ended) mode (some 68 pin drives have a jumper for that mode). You will still need a terminator on the end of the 50 pin cable. It is probably easier just to use a 68 pin terminated cable to the drive and convert the cards 50 pin to 68 pin using an adapter (unless you have other devices that need to be connected).

Too complicated! Just bought a 50PIN cable and put an offer in for a ST1480N. I won a ST-01 cheap this weekend.

The plan is to upgrade the native HDD in my IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086 from 20MB to much larger. Plus a 20MB ESDI may die any day now.

I will put the ST15150W in my AST Advantage 586.

Back