• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Out of this World" or "Another World"... two names for the same game.

facattack

Veteran Member
"Out of this World" or "Another World"... two names for the same game.

Remember that game? One time at a dollar store I bought a copy of this game for Mac. It was for OS seven I think. Inside was one 3.5 disk. Stan was trying to tell me the Mac we both had access to was a OS X and not compatible, and the Mac I think was a bright blue case with silver face plates and a handle.

I learned about the Apple II GS for the first time at this point and bought one with a Vulcan hard drive and tons of other goodies for $650 on an ebay auction. it came with a Apple II E compatible monitor and the case had been broken a bit. So then I bought a new Apple II GS which came with the proper model monitor built for it. I kept the monitor, sold cracked up case with the II E monitor to some guy along with all the software.

Imagine my surprise one morning when one gigantic box was delivered to my house. Then the next day a second one arrived!!

The interesting thing was that there were all these 3.5" disks with random numbers on them, groups of which were stuck together with ancient remains of some rubber bands. Over fifty disks with stuff written on them for some custom program of some kind.

Here's the point: what Mac should have I bought instead of the Appple II GS which was maxed out in OS 6? I wanted to play game contemporary to Out of this World as well as ones like Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Deja VU 2, and the Uninvited. Any more similar games?

I think Out of this world was for System 6.1 or higher.

If you really want a recommendation I'd tend to say the best choice might be one of the later PowerBooks. Something like the PowerBook 1400c or so...Why? WHY ON EARTH? OK so here is why:

- Still "halfway" affordable, usually working units in good shape go between 100 and 200 USD including accessories, sometimes even far under 100 USD.
- Since they are not that bulky and heavy shipping is reasonable
- broken ones usually sell for the price of a pizza, so spare parts are easy to get
- Can connect standard mouse and keyboard for that "desktop feeling"
- Reasonable performance for a "vintage" system, so you can also play games like Fallout, Myst or whatever
- Small and easy to stow away if you don't use it, doesn't take much space
- Easy to sell, don't need a truck to bring it to the post office.
- Comes with CD-ROM, CD-ROM module can be swapped for a 3.5 inch floppy module

Just my thoughts. Of course you can buy a bulky Quadra, LC or whatever if it makes you happier.

Last edited:
OS 6 on a ||GS?

I had this game but remember nothing about it. I may have had it for Amiga.

Nope. 3DO. Still have it, don't know that I ever played more than a minute of it but I sure remember the opening scene.

OS 6 on a ||GS?

I'm sure he wanted to say "GS/OS 6". NOT "(Macintosh) System 6" Since these 2 are not really compatible...

I first played "out of this world" on an Amiga 500. While it looked nice i remember it as being pretty hard/frustrating and the gameplay as a bit dull. It was a bit like Prince of Persia in space, but neither me nor any of my friends managed to get far. One of these games that is more enjoyable to watch someone else play in a youtube "Let's play" than playing yourself imho.

Last edited:
Yeah, I first played this as Out Of This World when I got my first Amiga. I was always struck by how effortlessly it achieved "cinematic" quality without sacrificing its nature as a game, while so many modern games just decide to be a movie you have to press buttons to continue yet never feel half as absorbing. It also strikes me as kind of an early "art game," decades before that kind of thing became popular with the indie crowd.

I should see what the Amiga version is like.

The 3DO version is terribly boring, partly because the background imagery looked wrong. I guess that's the only version like that.

The Amiga version is the original.
Afaik the title was Another World for the European market (the game is from France), and Out Of This World for the US market.

Yep, and the name conflict was due to two TV shows here being named "Out of this World" and "Another World". I'm not sure why they chose one over the other.

The IIgs is still a great machine, but for a different era of Apple computing. It's apart of the Apple II family.

My favorite Macintosh model is the Macintosh IIci, I'd recommend one of those if you can find one for a good price. $50 or so would be a good price.

I like it because it supports both 24-bit and 32-bit memory addressing, which makes it compatible with a lot of older software as well as newer software. With the 32-bit addressing, you can have up to 128MBs of RAM, which is an absolute ridiculous amount of memory for a machine of that era. :D It also has 3 NuBUS slots, so you can stick a lot of hardware in it.

It'll run everything from System 6 through System 8 (with a 68040 accelerator.) I run mine with System 7.1.1 Pro.

Yep, and the name conflict was due to two TV shows here being named "Out of this World" and "Another World". I'm not sure why they chose one over the other.

"Another World" was a soap opera and "Out Of This World" was a sci-fi sitcom. The creators of the game probably reasoned that the sitcom was more likely to be watched by the kinds of people who play computer games.

Back