billdeg

Technician
Last night I finished converting my P500 from PAL to NTSC

thm_P500_NTSC_bootscreen.JPG

I have posted the how to on my web site
http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=258

Bill

Last edited:
Nice! The original instuctions for the conversion and much more can be found on Edward Shockley's site: http://www.insectria.org/b128/dusk.html

Of course you need to fix the reference to "B128-40" as it was never called that. It was actually mistakenly called the "Commodore 64" at one point ;-)
And it was called the P128 too.

I'm still on the lookout for a european P500 for my collection...

Steve

It was actually mistakenly called the "Commodore 64" at one point ;-)
Yes, at the same time Commodore was demonstrating the 64K VIC-40 and the CBM-II computers. However I thought the Commodore 64 as of early 1982 only had 64K, not 128K as the P500 apparently is equipped with.

P500 C128-40 (not B128-40)

P500 C128-40 (not B128-40)

Nice! The original instuctions for the conversion and much more can be found on Edward Shockley's site: http://www.insectria.org/b128/dusk.html

Of course you need to fix the reference to "B128-40" as it was never called that. It was actually mistakenly called the "Commodore 64" at one point ;-)
And it was called the P128 too.

I'm still on the lookout for a european P500 for my collection...

Steve

I have the original manual for the P500, I agree that there it's C128-40, B128-40 is a typo. Maybe an admin here can help correct the title of this thread? I tried to edit on my own!

Years ago I had worked with Ed Shockley who helped me with a B-128 motherboard and fixed it for me. Since then I have accumulated the entire CBUG library (disks and newsletters) and I have most if not all B Series systems in working order. My exhibit at VCF E in 2006 was all about the B Series systems.

This year for VCF East I plan to use a P500 as part of a computer music exhibit, mostly because it's a rare sight to see a working P500. From a practical matter a lot of my SID development will be done on the B128 and then ported to the P500 after doubling the speed to compensate for the different in MHz between the two.

bd

I have the original manual for the P500, I agree that there it's C128-40, B128-40 is a typo. Maybe an admin here can help correct the title of this thread? I tried to edit on my own!

Years ago I had worked with Ed Shockley who helped me with a B-128 motherboard and fixed it for me. Since then I have accumulated the entire CBUG library (disks and newsletters) and I have most if not all B Series systems in working order. My exhibit at VCF E in 2006 was all about the B Series systems.

This year for VCF East I plan to use a P500 as part of a computer music exhibit, mostly because it's a rare sight to see a working P500. From a practical matter a lot of my SID development will be done on the B128 and then ported to the P500 after doubling the speed to compensate for the different in MHz between the two.

bd

Don't forget to fix the B-128-40 typo on your own page ;-)

Yes, Ed's pages are full of great info. I contact him occasionally when I have new info to share.

I demonstrated my working P500 (USA model) at a recent TPUG meeting. I ran the Commodore promotional demo on it, and I had a few songs converted from C64 as well. Have you considered porting Cynthcart to the P500? It might be difficult because of the limited bank15 ram. I can donate my source code to my b-series Master Composer player if you want to try porting it to the P500. It loads the ML into bank 15 and the songs into bank3, but it would be easy to change it to bank 0.

My B-series collection is also pretty much complete. I'm trying to get my hands on some of the more rare prototype machines and hardware.

Steve

Yes, at the same time Commodore was demonstrating the 64K VIC-40 and the CBM-II computers. However I thought the Commodore 64 as of early 1982 only had 64K, not 128K as the P500 apparently is equipped with.

The CBM-II line was initially going to have 64K models, such as a 505. But, I believe the "Commodore 64" naming was mostly journalist confusion over the different machines in development. People generally forget that the CBM-II line, the C64, and Max Machine were all developed at the same time and intended for different target audiences. The P500 was aimed at higher end "Professional" and "Scientific" uses, as can be seen from the P500 sales demo.

I often wish Commodore had made an HP variant of the P500. For me the ultimate 8-bit machine would have had a P500-type motherboard and 256K ram, inside a high-profile case, with built-in drives, and a colour monitor... Lets call it a P520D ;-) If I could find a 12" colour monitor that would fit in the housing and a spare P500 motherboard I'd build one myself.

Steve

How about a 8088, "almost" IBM PC compatible with a 6502 daughter board that would run PET software as well? They could have thrown in at least a SID, perhaps a VIC-II if you wanted other colour graphics than the CGA could offer in c:a 1982/83.

Since the Sirius/Victor was designed by Chuck Peddle after leaving Commodore, it is not totally unlikely to think he may have stuck to the company and made this PC-PET with 16 colour enhanced graphics at their place.

Thanks Steve for the tip about my site too; corrected...

I agree I wish they kept going and made a P500/CBM 256 mix. And throw in some of the SuperPet stuff. THAT would be something.

I wish I were closer to Toronto to attend a TBUG meeting some time. You would think that being near West Chester, PA, former home of Commodore, that there would be some clubs around here, but there are none.

Bill

Thanks Steve for the tip about my site too; corrected...

I agree I wish they kept going and made a P500/CBM 256 mix. And throw in some of the SuperPet stuff. THAT would be something.

I wish I were closer to Toronto to attend a TPUG meeting some time. You would think that being near West Chester, PA, former home of Commodore, that there would be some clubs around here, but there are none.

Bill

Ah, the long-lost D128 prototype. A merging of the B and P series machines, before it lost it's 6509 and became the C128. That would be cool to see...
I wonder what it would take to make a machine using all the processors used in Commodore's 8-bit lines (650x, 6809, Z80, 8088. )?

Yes, Toronto (original home of Commodore) is a good place for neat commodore stuff.

Steve

Last edited:
You probably have the TBUG 8032 file archive and some B Series stuff, but if you need a copy let me know. I am looking for interesting SuperPet applications that run on a stock SuperPET. I did some Pascal development on one of these last year, but there is scant documentation.
Bill

You probably have the TBUG 8032 file archive and some B Series stuff, but if you need a copy let me know. I am looking for interesting SuperPet applications that run on a stock SuperPET. I did some Pascal development on one of these last year, but there is scant documentation.
Bill

I think your fingers don't like the "P" key... B128-40.. TBUG ;-)

Other than the Waterloo languages, I don't think there's much for standard SuperPET in 6809 mode. The Super OS/9 requires an MMU board to be added.
I'm waiting for TPUG's library to be released on CD-ROM (DVD?). I have the complete CBUG library and probably everything on the net that's B related.
I'm hoping to get my web site moved to a new host with more storage, and then I'll post some of my own B and P software as well.

Steve

Well, as mentioned above, i wanted to move my web pages, and I finally have. The CBM-II page is now located here:

http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/computer/cbm2/index.html

I have expanded the page and added more pictures, but I have yet to post my P and B software. Perhaps in the next little while I'll get to it.

If anyone has any P/B software or hardware, I'm always looking for stuff to add. I'm looking for pictures of some of the commercial software titles, and also the 24K and 1MB ram expansion boards.

Also, I have yet to get my 8088 board working, but when I do I'll post some pictures.

Steve

Don't forget to fix the B-128-40 typo on your own page ;-)

Yes, Ed's pages are full of great info. I contact him occasionally when I have new info to share.

I demonstrated my working P500 (USA model) at a recent TPUG meeting. I ran the Commodore promotional demo on it, and I had a few songs converted from C64 as well. Have you considered porting Cynthcart to the P500? It might be difficult because of the limited bank15 ram. I can donate my source code to my b-series Master Composer player if you want to try porting it to the P500. It loads the ML into bank 15 and the songs into bank3, but it would be easy to change it to bank 0.

My B-series collection is also pretty much complete. I'm trying to get my hands on some of the more rare prototype machines and hardware.

Steve

catching up to this old thread. I plan to put some time into this project now if you'd like to send me the program. I still have a lot to learn. Working on it though.

Back