• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Misosys C compiler , problems with SAID text editor

david_ellwood

I dont know if anyone has played with this but the SAID editor uses the <clear> key to access special characters.

I need to input square brackets but when i use <CLEAR>+, I get up arrow , and I should be getting a square bracket.

Obviously this is hampering my attempts.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

A Model I (unless it is a rare very early Model I) cannot display square brackets. The Model I font has up arrow and left arrow in those positions. This shouldn't matter to the compiler. Just get used to the brackets looking like arrows. If you transfer the file to a Model III and look at it there, you'll see brackets.

Conversely, a Model III displays the BASIC exponentiation operator (the up arrow) as an unmatched left bracket. This is weird-looking, but it doesn't matter to BASIC. You just have to get used to it.

thanks for that , ill use the PC for text editing and then compile in the emulator.

Then hopefully i'll get some speed of development.

I like the Misosys C compiler....it's just very slow on the TRS-80. But, it's still neat to write C on a Model I. Crank up the turbo speed in your emulator of choice and it becomes almost useable!

Oh, and the performance of your compiled application will be way slower compared to writing straight Z80 assembly. I tried developing a project in C on the MI but the intermediate compiler of MC could not get close to the optimization of handwritten assembly. MC is really just an interesting and fun novelty, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back