• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

If computers could tell stories...

Now we're cooking. 3.1 ROM arrived today from AmigaKit. I'd be where I am without it, frankly, but glad it came today so I could screw down the P/S frame and drives.
Installing Toaster 4.3 to the 40M internal drive now. Really really wish I could get that 9G external to work. :(

KIMG0588.jpg

Toaster 4.3 is going to crawl if you only have 1MB of chip RAM. Its much happier if you have that DKB MegAChip installed. Don't forget to install Toaster 3.1 if you want the "classic" interface... that is if the 40MB drive isn't totally full.

I've got a MegaChip. I used to have one for each A500 and A2000. Can't seem to find them anymore! It's got 18M of RAM. It would have more but the accelerator is a GVP and won't take 72 pin SIMMs.

The 40M is totally full. I'm going to keep trying to low-level format that 9G drive. Eventually I'll have to do something different. I've run the toaster entirely from a CD before, that's not terrible as long as it isn't over of those silly drives that keeps spinning up and down.

I have 4.3, 4.2, 3.5, and I had 2.0 but I can't find that anymore.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my Flyer. Last time I tried to use it, 13 years ago, the audio was dead. Back then I had assumed NewTek would not repair it. I guess back then they might, who knows now?

I've got cabling on the way for Flyer drives, and the drives are ready to go. But I may do something different for a case; they're in a flip-top XT clone case, which I've always hated.

#$%$#@@!!!!! Two A2000 keyboards arrived today from an eBay seller. Poorly packaged and had to dig around in plastic bags to find missing keys.

Space bar is broken on the better keyboard!

Toaster 3.1 and 3.5 only differ by the included version of Lightwave 3D. I would call Newtek about repairs. I have read that people were able to get them serviced still.

I think the only Amiga keyboard that was decently built was the early A2000 Cherry MX board. The rest don't seem to ship well. :p

That may be the model I have with the broken space bar. Every other A2000 keyboard I have is a Mitsumi.

I gave up on the 9G drive, which is a shame. I see they are available refurbished for $50, I may do that, just because it's the right size, shape, and sound.

I've moved on to a little 3.25" drive, it's a 2G Connor which for reasons I don't recall, I wrote "Suspect" on it 15 years ago. It won't low-level format, but I'm verifying the drive now. I've found two bad blocks so far. Hopefully I can mark some bad blocks and it will partition and format.

Ugh... same problem. Drive is read-only..!

Wow. I guess I'm stuck, or have to buy something. 9 hard drives tried, 9 dead drives.

Last edited:
Alright... This is too fishy.

I found two more drives. #10 has a stuck spindle. #11 seems to be functioning perfectly; but is exhibiting the same read-only, or is it write-only symptoms as the others.

I can successfully partition the drive, but it's erased again upon reboot.

I guess I've got old ROMs in the GVP that I can't access my 35G partition. :(

Last edited:
The partition is formatted with SFS under AmigaOS 4.0. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I never liked SFS.

SFS has been exterminated. I am using the latest version of PFS3 now. They apparently fixed the bug that caused me to switch to SFS in the first place.

I think the 35G partition which I don't want to erase is JXFS.

14 hard drives online now, 10 as RAID for a whopping total of 550Mb of storage! (Flyer drives not included)

My Ariadne II is dead, so no network; no Screamernet and no Envoy.

I can't for the life of me get Toaster 4.3 installed. Bad disc after bad disc. I'm out of CDR discs.

KIMG0596.jpg

Got 4.3 barely installed but working well enough to play a handful of videos I discovered on my Flyer drives. This stuff is from 2003!

Very quickly at the beginning, there are two scenes, one with a flying bowling pin, and one with a rotating chessboard. Those were rendered over days on the same system I'm playing them back on today, except it didn't have an accelerator: it was 68000 at ~7 MHz..!

Last edited:
Strange:

Each disc I would burn would get errors in different parts of the disc, when reading in my Philips CDD2600.

I'm using the latest disc, which had tons of errors in that drive, in a Plextor, with no trouble so far.

Scratch that; it just gets different errors.

Last edited:
Strange:

Each disc I would burn would get errors in different parts of the disc, when reading in my Philips CDD2600.

I'm using the latest disc, which had tons of errors in that drive, in a Plextor, with no trouble so far.

Scratch that; it just gets different errors.

Have you tried burning the disk more slowly (I see you're trying a different burner)? 2x is sometimes best for some purposes.

Yep. I tried at 2x. I've only got one burner I can use at the moment. It's never failed before until this of course, now it's flaky apparently.

I burned a disc of something else to test it and ended up with a junk disc. So I've got a bum burner, and I'm out of CDRs anyway.

Here's an issue: The unknown brand CD burner I'm using doesn't do what you tell it. I didn't wait around for it to finish before, but I just found out that it ignores the speed setting.

I found a blank CDR, probably my last, and burned VT4_3 to it a 1x and it finished in three minutes.

Doesn't matter, it didn't write a proper disc anyway. It didn't even pass the verify-after-write.

Last edited:
Found a solution! New box of CD-RWs sitting on the shelf behind the A2000 staring me in the face. The writer slows to 4x for those.

But now I have to install a different CD-ROM drive in the A2000 to read the CD-RW. I've attached one to the Flyer Audio bus, so now I get to figure out how to use a CD there.

I learned a very important lesson about AmigaOS 3.9 and Toaster 3.5. Installing Toaster 3.5 will corrupt an AmigaOS 3.9 installation. So, it's important to have comprehensive backups. I'm not sure what it does, just yet. But it's the ol' "Can't open resource library v44" business. Some file that the rekicking needs.

Someday I need to figure out how I can burn myself some 3.9 ROMs and eliminate all this silly rekicking. KickFlashOS4 does not work reliably for me, and frankly, I'm still irate that it doesn't actually work with OS4, even though I have nothing to run that on anymore. :(

Speaking of OS4, I found a mirror of the 35G partition that I wanted to keep. So I wiped it out and went from a 500M to a 35G Toaster drive.

Also, I revived my dead Flyer Audio drive by shaking it violently. Probably not the best way to do that.

Back