• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Laptop w/ ISA Slots?

I am wondering if such a beast ever existed. I am thinking of a real laptop (vs. a "luggable") maybe a 286/386 or even a 486 that could take an ISA add-in card.

The Compaq Portable III took ISA cards via an expansion box on the back. That is halfway between a "luggable" and a laptop. It looked like a large lunchbox.

The Toshiba series referenced earlier in this thread are the closest match to what the OP is looking for.

I scrapped the T6600C I had at least 10 years ago. I still have the two memory expansion cards for it around here somewhere. They look similar to PCMCIA cards but are something proprietary. I think they are 16MB each to max out the T6600C at 40MB with its built in 8MB. They might be compatible with a few Toshiba models.

Cardbus (later called PCMCIA) was originally designed to be RAM / Storage expansion for mobile devices. The first revision of cardbus only supported memory devices IIRC. Later revisions added support for multifunction devices (network adapters, modems, etc.)

Thanks everyone for the input on the laptops. I think the Toshiba line is probably closest to what I need. As it happens I was able to pickup a Toshiba 3200SX for cheap. At the very least it seems to have a non-functioning HDD which seems to be typical for these computers. Only issue may be that it does not have enough slots (ideally I need one slot for a NIC and two other slots to connect an EPROM programmer and an external floppy drives). Once I get it I will see what else is wrong. Thanks for all the input. I will keep people posted.

Cardbus (later called PCMCIA) was originally designed to be RAM / Storage expansion for mobile devices. The first revision of cardbus only supported memory devices IIRC. Later revisions added support for multifunction devices (network adapters, modems, etc.)

Not to get the original thread off track here, but AFAIK the original standard was PCMCIA, then renamed to PC Card, where the I/O capabilities were essentially those of the 16-bit ISA bus. CardBus was a later standard where the I/O capabilities were essentially those of the 32-bit PCI bus. Then later came ExpressCard, which can be a mix of serial PCI Express and USB 2.0

So anyway somewhat back on topic the Toshiba 16MB DRAM cards I have are the same physical size as a PCMCIA card, but they are keyed differently, and they have more pins at a higher pitch, and the two rows are staggered from each other instead of lined up in a PCMCIA card.

Thanks everyone for the input on the laptops. I think the Toshiba line is probably closest to what I need. As it happens I was able to pickup a Toshiba 3200SX for cheap. At the very least it seems to have a non-functioning HDD which seems to be typical for these computers. Only issue may be that it does not have enough slots (ideally I need one slot for a NIC and two other slots to connect an EPROM programmer and an external floppy drives). Once I get it I will see what else is wrong. Thanks for all the input. I will keep people posted.

Well the NIC - Check, you need that. =) The cool thing is that most nics have slots for EPROMS, so you can put an XTIDE EPROM in it and just use a larger HDD.

I don't know why you need an EPROM programer on such a vintage machine, but you probably have your reasons. I suggest to look into LPT (Parallel port) based programmers, then you can use the LPT port. Also there are external floppy drives for LPT port that - now the good news - can be chained with other devices, e.g. an LPT programer.

or even better: an LPT based SuperDisk drive, so you have floppy and SuperDisk (120MB) in one device... :3

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Imation-San-...222503?hash=item33a6a5e6e7:g:eMsAAOSw~gRVj8Qf

So that way you still have a full size ISA slot left over. Well just an idea.

Well the NIC - Check, you need that. =) The cool thing is that most nics have slots for EPROMS, so you can put an XTIDE EPROM in it and just use a larger HDD.

That is something I am considering. Maybe even going with a solid state IDE drive as the Conner CP drive's are hard to come by. I've located an enthusiast page that has a hacked BIOS allowing the use of any IDE drive so that is another option....

I don't know why you need an EPROM programer on such a vintage machine, but you probably have your reasons.

Because I have a very good programmer w/ an ISA controller ;). Currently it sits in my IBM XT so while it works well it is annoying having to come back to the basement every time. The impetus for this was having a portable work lab on my older systems. Something I could take around w/ utilities, and some HW so I can do basic stuff. Plus there is the geek factor!

Also there are external floppy drives for LPT port that - now the good news - can be chained with other devices, e.g. an LPT programmer or even better: an LPT based SuperDisk drive, so you have floppy and SuperDisk (120MB) in one device... :3

I actually have an LPT LS-120 drive :). However, the external drive I am planning on using is an 8" drive. The unit already comes with a 1.44mb drive so that's good enough and with a NIC on a 80386sx I can do basic networking (even WfW) for file transfer needs. Of course I may still piggy back a ZIP drive and an LS-120 off of it. Plus there is the Xircom option for network as well... So a very versatile machine for what I need.

I am a bit concerned that the processor may be too *fast* for some older SW I plan on using (XenoCopy-PC comes to mind) and a 80286 may have been a better choice but the 386 is probably far more versatile....

The only issue that *may* cause a problem is memory. I understand that the machine uses parity RAM sticks but apparently just putting in some 2MB parity SIMMs does not work. I haven't been able to determine if the memory was proprietary or just picky. Anyone with input on that issue?

Late reply is late...

Well not sure about that 8 inch floppy. I doubt that the Toshiba BIOS or DOS/Win 3.1 will support it. But you sound like someone who is stubborn AND knows what he's doing so i hope you have a solution.

I have a 40 Dollar chinese USB programmer. But admittedly that would be hard to use on a T3200SX. I guess that ISA programmer has some neat features and you learned to love it. Otherwise for portability an UMPC like The OQO or a Sony UX with a USB programmer would be...lighter...

These are using parity SIMM and they can be pretty picky. Normally they use only "some" 2MB or 4MB modules up to a maximum of 13MB total (1MB internal plus 12MB extension). yeah 13MB hard limit.

You can use standard 30 PIN SIMM if you modify them... Cut the trace that is connected to the CASP line (pin 28) and connect that to the CAS line (pin 2). Results in a 1MB module even if the real capacity was higher though. But no more parity error, yay...Worth a try if you have some unwanted 30 PIN SIMM around and feel desperate and got the time to fumble... If you wanna find legit Toshiba 3200SX 2MB parity modules then look out for the ones having 6 chips instead of the usual 3,4 or 9... Actually most normal SIMM fail, parity or not, i don't even know why, in theory they should work.

Kyodai,

One of the reasons I asked for a laptop with built in ISA was so that I could put in a FDC, specifically a CompatiCard IV, which has its own BIOS to handle different drives. DOS will have no issues with the drive - for the most part. Right now I am leaning toward a CCIV and a 3Com 8bit Ethernet II card which will house an XT-IDE BIOS for easy HDD upgrade. That leaves the LPT for a ZIP drive to exchange data with my more modern systems. The serial port can interface with my multimeter for data logging.

I still would like a battery for real portability but since I would need a power supply for the 8" drive I guess it isn't a big deal. I am going to keep my eye out for a later model with battery support. I know the 3100SX had a battery but I am not sure if it had the ISA slot...

The memory sounds like it will be a pain to upgrade. Luckily the unit I got has 8MB and for DOS and 386 apps that should be more then plenty. Hell my first 486 desktop back in 1992 had 4MB of RAM and that was massive! :)

All this talk of the T6600c. I have fond memories of that computer, my dad had one for work way back when, he used it for testing relays and filing paperwork for the power company. I've looked for one over the past couple years and they usually go for $100 plus on Ebay, with $50 plus shipping, and that's for some pretty crappy ones. In the end I wound up getting several of the 486 Toshiba laptops and a docking station, I was much happier with them. Of course, once I got things running, they all got thrown on a shelf to collect dust. Funny how that happens isn't it.

Back