• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Restoration thoughts please!

Raddit123

Experienced Member
Hi all,

So I'm thinking about buying a Olivetti M24 8086. Its a shed find (why do people put them there?!) So pretty grimey on the inside, good amount of surface rust, no monitor or keyboard (hoping to get adapters?), powers on but not tested. It's got a while left but is on a low price with minimal interest - I'm guessing due to the miss spelt title.

So the plan would be, remove all the electrical gubbins and give them a good clean, maybe even the dishwasher for some items. Possibly sand blast the case and respray in colour matched paints from images taken before (I used to work as a photographer so should be able to get this bit right!)

What's every ones thoughts, should I try to save a bit of a nail, or spend more money on a good one, or even a bad one with a monitor and a keyboard?

Cheers all.

I'd only invest in respraying/sanding etc if it's something you'd personally enjoy as a project - in which case it's always worth it for the experience / entertainment.

But I'd never turn down the offer of a low cost 8086/8088 computer :)

Thanks for the info! I love a good sand and spray job. I'd lose some the detailing such as the card labels on the reverse, but I'm not too bothered about that!

Chris, do you know how to make an adapter?

Back