• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486 processor upgrades

The only reason the light would be on is if the drive is toast (i.e. internally faulty due to reversed power connection, age etc) OR if the drive/motor enable pin is stuck high on the FDC side.

Since you have tried a number of drives and cables I would say its a fault with the controller....

If you google the pinout for a FDC you can identify which pin corresponds to drive/motor enable. You can then check the output; however I am not sure if it requires a pullup resistor or not. Someone else on the forums probably knows the answer to this question.

I was afraid it might be the controller. Interestingly enough, from within Windows, I was able to fully read and format a disk all while the light stayed on. It would not boot the system from a disk, however. If I were to try a controller card with floppy connection, would I be able to boot from it? Years ago, I had a p166 desktop that had the IDE controller go out and had to use an ISA controller but I don't remember if I was able to boot from a floppy.

I was afraid it might be the controller. Interestingly enough, from within Windows, I was able to fully read and format a disk all while the light stayed on. It would not boot the system from a disk, however. If I were to try a controller card with floppy connection, would I be able to boot from it? Years ago, I had a p166 desktop that had the IDE controller go out and had to use an ISA controller but I don't remember if I was able to boot from a floppy.

Yes; provided you disable the onboard controller in the bios first.

Back