• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OH HAPPY DAY: Windows 7 SP1 convenience rollup

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Looks like MS finally pulled its head out of its huge rear end and released the equivalent of SP 1.5 for Windows 7. This supposedly includes all the patches from SP1 to April, 2016. One weird thing is that you have to install the April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 first before this update. I am not sure why it was not just included to make installation simpler.

Also, I don't know if this includes the patches for Windows 10 nagware. If anyone knows for sure please let me know!

I am putting this away for future installs of Win 7 once MS stops support for the OS. Hopefully, if MS keeps up with the reported monthly rollup schedule we won't have to rely on do it your self SP from the community (ala all other windows OSes).

I was actually just looking recently to see if anyone had made an unofficial SP2 for Windows 7 so that I don't have to spend all day downloading updates when I do a new install.

GWX Control Panel will take care of the Windows 10 nagware if any of it gets through. I have Windows 10 on one PC now and its stupid design mistakes annoy me. For example, why does it keep telling me to "tap here" when it knows I don't have a touchscreen? That's been a bug ever since Windows 8, and a simple IF-THEN statement could've easily fixed it to say "click here" when no touchscreen is present.

The patch for the Windows 10 nagware is Windows 10 :p

I've read that in some cases it is going ahead and just installing itself, regardless.

why does it keep telling me to "tap here" when it knows I don't have a touchscreen? That's been a bug ever since Windows 8, and a simple IF-THEN statement could've easily fixed it to say "click here" when no touchscreen is present.

What?!?! You don't have a touch screen!? You NEED one because... because... because... because.. because... Microsoft says so! And be a good little consumeroid and get yourself some blinding blue LEDs while you are at it!

GWX Control Panel will take care of the Windows 10 nagware if any of it gets through.

My question was more in the realm of if MS has included those patches in this rollup not if we can get rid of them. Would be pretty ironic if they make it easier for you to install/update Win 7 just so they can get the nagware on to your machine! :D

Looks like the nagware won't be a problem soon enough!

But until then, they are getting more sneaky:

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/

windows10-upgrade.jpg

Don’t blink, or your PC might upgrade itself to Windows 10

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/don-t-blink-pc-might-upgrade-itself-windows-213059900.html?nhp=1

"Microsoft is keen for you to upgrade to Windows 10. So keen, in fact, that it will give it away for free. And hey, Microsoft reckons you shouldn't even have to go to the trouble of scheduling an update yourself -- it can do that for you. What's that? You like Windows 7 better? Well, don't leave your PC unattended for too long.

CNET reports that for some users of Windows 7 and 8, Windows is auto-scheduling a date and time to upgrade to Windows 10. It's much like how Windows forces regular updates on users, only in this case, you're not getting some security patches -- you're being forcibly upgraded to an entirely new operating system. The only way to avoid the Windows 10 upgrades is to click on the pop-up informing you of your scheduled update, go to the options, and reschedule or cancel the update.

I don't know about you, but I make a habit of ignoring all Windows warnings about upgrades, and the chances are I would rage-dismiss this notification as well. I know Microsoft is keen to get all PC users onto Windows 10 -- and it's honestly a big upgrade from Windows 7 and 8 -- but this feels like an unnecessarily sneaky trick. Anyone who wanted Windows 10 has probably already downloaded it, and the holdouts are just people who can't let go of 7.

Auto-scheduling updates with minimal warning isn't a feature or a convenience -- it's just going to piss off a bunch of users who never wanted Cortana in their lives. Remember when your parents accidentally auto-updated to Word 2007, and you had to spend six hours on the phone explaining what happened to Edit-->Paste? Well, just imagine what's going to happen when they wake up to some lady called Cortana bossing them around, and ads in their beloved Start Menu."

Back