• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CompuAdd 316s - Setup Utility will not launch

Chris88

Hello,

I have recently dug out my first computer from my Dad's basement while I was helping him move. I would really like to get this up and running and maintain it for historical purposes.

When I turn on the machine I receive the error (I have attached a picture as well):

"Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program"
"Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

If I strike F1 I just relive the same message and when a strike F2 nothing happens. The keyboard is in good condition so I assume it is not a keyboard issue.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
If I strike F1 I just relive the same message and when a strike F2 nothing happens. The keyboard is in good condition so I assume it is not a keyboard issue.
That means you've tested the keyboard on another computer or tried a second keyboard, right?

If you haven't how can you assume it's not a keyboard issue?

If there is a CMOS/RTC battery installed on or near the motherboard, I would check that first. I'm assuming its been in storage for a good while, therefore the battery is most likely dead and probably leaked. Hopefully not.

I assumed because I have not had the opportunity to locate another keyboard or computer with a 5 pin port and the keyboard does not have any visible defects. I will do some more digging around and see what I can find. Thank you.

If there is a CMOS/RTC battery installed on or near the motherboard, I would check that first. I'm assuming its been in storage for a good while, therefore the battery is most likely dead and probably leaked. Hopefully not.

The battery is totally dead, but I was able to locate another keyboard and enter the boot menu and once I set the time, date, and set the disks the machine would boot up to a DOS boot disk. This allowed me to search, write, and delete directories on the hard drive.

So I attempted to install dos 6.22 successfully (according to installer), but once I rebooted the machine I received a disk read error. My next step is to try and locate an official install disk set and probably start searching for a new hard drive.

Thanks again.

That means you've tested the keyboard on another computer or tried a second keyboard, right?

If you haven't how can you assume it's not a keyboard issue?

You were correct. I was able to get another keyboard from the university surplus store for $1.

Thank you.

The battery is totally dead...
...I attempted to install dos 6.22 successfully (according to installer), but once I rebooted the machine I received a disk read error.

No surprise there. If the battery is totally dead, then it can't keep the configuration (i.e.---disk geometry). You'll somehow need to replace the battery or find some type of work-around to keep those settings.

Back