• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Crazy Chinese Computer

Wgeorge

:whaasup:

I was looking around in a local junk emporium and I came across a, what I believe is, a chinese computer, it looks like a regular IBM 101 Keyboard, with chinese characters (I believe) on all letter keys except Z. Above the keyboard is a cartridge slot with a Power button on the left side and a Reset button on the right side, on the right side of the keyboard are two ports (both the same) labeled "Com 1" and (believe it or not!) "Com 2". On the back of this strange little machine are two holes labeled "RF" and "DC" (looks like it hooks up to a TV then) and when I opened it up there was nothing but a small RF & Power circut board, a cartridge port and a keyboard interface circut board, all connected to each other, so I guess whatever brains are in this baby come from the Cartridge. As for a maker I couldn't find anything in English except a name "CB-200B" on one side, and the word "Indicator" next to a power LED. So what do I have on my hands here, is this really a computer of some kind, a component of a larger system, are the Chinese screwing with me again? ;) Well anyway is anyone has and idea what the hell this thing is or might be please tell me, cause I don't want to have wasted $2 for nothing!
(I so cheap!)

Well, if you have the opportunity to post a picture that might help a whole lot.

The only thing I could think off from your description was the PC95 or "Magic Computer" :p , but that's a South American piece of junk. I don't know much about it, as I've only seen it on auction at Brazillian eBay. It seems to be a NES-clone, but with a keyboard, and it takes cartridges and plugs to a TV.

But like I said, that's a South American thing - not Chinese. So, any pictures would be neat... 8)

Just a thought. :whatthat: I don't have one, but I've understood that the IBM PCjr took cartridges. Maybe this is some special keyboard that you could use with your PCjr, that allowed you to plug in carts and COM-accessories from the keyboard, rather than having to go to the machine.. :eh:

I have seen a computer like that, it was called an "Educational Computer" and it exactly fits your description. The one I have ha 2 com ports as well, and it takes a cartridge and on the cartridge was dos 3, a few programs and it was Mexican. I will try to get a picture of it (can't find the camera). I opened both the console and the cartridge and yes, the cartridge is the brain of it, having the processor and two other chips (guessing memory and rom) and inside the console was just the power supply, keyboard interface and the circuitry for the tv interface. Just like yours. This one takes batteries, does yours? x4 AA, or an adapter which I don't have.

I think that the design is a throwback, kinda. It's simple, easy to make and cheap. This one you can connect either a mouse (??!!??) or 2 controllers, in the com1/2 ports on the side. I guess these things are pretty common. I wish I had one with all its accessories.

Nathan

Crazy Mexican Computer

Crazy Mexican Computer

I finally got all the pieces together for this old thing, and it didn't work. All I got was a blue screen. Oh well. Wgeorge, I will see if I can send you my cartridge for this thing. It's not mine, but since it doesn't work I'll ask the powner if he will let the cartridge go. May as well have one working. Need anything else??

Nathan

do you have the photo that you can show me,especialy if there is the chinese writing? I might be able to tell you more about it!

is there date on the back? what year is it?

I am looking foward to seeing the picture :)

I'll get more pics made (it's at my wife's aunt's house now, stored) since noone asked about it for months. It's in the box and everything. I don't remember what was on it as far as writing but I will take pics and email/post them.

Nathan

I have the pics but they are not on the internet anywhere, so I can email them to whoever is interested. Send me a quick note, here is my address dkassandra4 at wmconnect dot com Written like tht to avoid email harvesters. There is no Chinese on it, just Spanish (bought in Mexico). There are a whole SLEW of machines like this one I find, some are in keyboard style cases, hand-held controllers and pirate style games like X-Box and PS2 etc. Look around for them in the extremely cheap and junky sections of your local stores. Here they sell them at the flea markets. I found one, a handheld with the cartridge slot on the bottom and all the games are on ROM inside, with db-9 port for second controller and all the hookups (DC in, AV out) are on the main controller along with the cartridge slot. I want to get one, crack it open and see what it is made of.

Nathan

Back