• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Need SCSI floppy interface/drives

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
I'm interested in getting a 3.5" high density (1.4MB) drive on an old machine that can't handle the drive directly, but speaks SCSI. (It's a Jr with a parallel-port to SCSI adapter on it.)

The standard drive is a TEAC with an adapter board to connect the floppy drive to the SCSI chain. One of the model numbers that I know of is TEAC-FD-235HS.

I'm bidding on an SGI external floppy drive (which is SCSI), but I'm not sure if it is the right thing or not. Old external MAC drives are *NOT* SCSI .. (been subjected to that problem already.)

Contact me at mbbrutman@magnaspeed.net .... maybe we can work a trade or an outright purchase.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Need SCSI floppy interface/drives

mbbrutman said:
The standard drive is a TEAC with an adapter board to connect the floppy drive to the SCSI chain. One of the model numbers that I know of is TEAC-FD-235HS.

The actual board you want is FC-1 the board with drive is DF-235HS, BUT

There are different versions of it. I have one and asked Teac about it; they replied that mine is from an unidentified computer intended for the Japanese market and they won't tell me more. My Adaptec controller sees the drive/board but any command results in error messages. That's as far as I can get...

Beware and good luck.

Interesting ..

What kind of Adaptec controller do you have? What kind of errors does the Adaptec give you? Are you loading ASPI drivers to access the drive, or are these BIOS errors?

Mike

mbbrutman said:
Interesting ..

What kind of Adaptec controller do you have? What kind of errors does the Adaptec give you? Are you loading ASPI drivers to access the drive, or are these BIOS errors?

It was a 1542CF, the unremembered messages came from the card BIOS; the drive was sensed but format/test/whatever gave error messages.

I'll add it to my todo list to check it again but I know I'll forget. Please bug me to do that.

If the SGI floppy doesn't pan out, keep an eye open for old(er) DEC StorageWorks expansion cases or DEC VaxStation 4000 series. I've seen lots of them with floppy's built in and I *believe* they are SCSI since thats what the I/O is for the box itself is. If you find a VS 4K-60 with a floppy let me know and I'll split the price with you if I can have the case.

-ShirKahn

Back