• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore parts wanted: TED chip(s) and PET peripheral cable

billdeg

Technician
I am looking for
[1] TED chips for Plus/4/C16/C116 computers and
[2] Commodore PET peripheral cables such as the one you'd use to hook up a 4050 drive to a PET 2001 and/or PET II to a 8050 drive.

I will purchase or trade.

Please email billdeg@aol.com - thanks.

Re: Commodore parts wanted: TED chip(s) and PET peripheral c

Re: Commodore parts wanted: TED chip(s) and PET peripheral c

billdeg said:
I am looking for
[2] Commodore PET peripheral cables such as the one you'd use to hook up a 4050 drive to a PET 2001 and/or PET II to a 8050 drive.

If you could describe the cable, it might be createable...

PET IEEE-488 cable info for Commodore B128

PET IEEE-488 cable info for Commodore B128

I have a 8050 Dual Floppy Drive - Single Sided/Quad Density format, 512k per disk side, that I want to hook up to a Commodore B128 (PET II type system). They use IEEE-488 cables. I need the cable to make this connection. I thought I had the right one, but I was wrong.

Good luck with finding TED chips - from what I've understood, it is one of the first or most common thing to break down in those computers (like a few other ULAs), so either you have a complete machine or you have a spare parts machine except for a TED.

TED (8501R1) chips

TED (8501R1) chips

Yup - Never buy a plus/4 C16 from Ebay unless the seller shows or can produce a picture of the purple ready prompt. I have many "mint Condition" plus/4's that sit on a shelf waiting for a TED chip. Still looking for them if anyone reads this post.

Ouch. I suppose there is no hidden warehouse of old chips left, or if there ever was, someone is sitting on those chips asking $200 or more per chip.

The Oric (UK computer very popular in France) community suffered from a similar thing; their ULAs also broke down frequently and it was a great deal of grief from Oric owners or buyers with broken machines. Earlier this year however a warehouse or previous manufacturer was traced, and by finding a "company" to buy from the warehouse, a combined order was placed to get as many chips as the active users need. Apparently the stock was large enough to satisfy everyone and a little more, and from what I understood, there was no risk that the warehouse would dump remaining chips in the sea so they didn't have to buy everything. That's a success story.

Regarding the cable, it may be easier since I think IEEE-488 was a common industrial standard (hence the IEEE marking). Did you find any cable or at least information about the involved interfaces so someone can roll a cable?

searching here brings up hits on the chip
http://www.doom.com/
although there's something fishy about a website that makes you become a member before getting indepth results of searches... but, it did list around 40 of the chips available. I can't vouch for the site, I didn't become a member :)

IEEE 488 cables are actually quite common if you look for HPIB cables. I've got a few lying around here for an HP project I'm working on, but I think I gave $2 each for them on eBay.

tachyon

The 6526 is a CIA (I/O) chip, which is much more common - it sits in pairs in every C64 and maybe C128 too? Also I believe there are GAL replacements of that chip.

Good luck on that other site, but I doubt it contains any unknown secrets. OTOH, I don't follow the Plus/4 scene close enough to know if most people have solved their TED needs.

Ok, thanks Carlsson. I'm not really familiar with the innards of that machine. Truth be told, I've never really taken an older machine (pre 286) apart. Theres a good reason for that too. As much as I've always been one to take things apart and "find out what makes them tick", I could just imagine my parents coming in on me taking the cover off the (then brand new) TRS-80.
Sometimes the instinct for self preservation overrides curiosity!

ted chips and ieee cables

ted chips and ieee cables

I am following up...I have come upon some ted chips and ieee cables, through many hours of searching and emails. thanks for all of your help. I will still buy them/trade for them if anyone has any, but I won't pay $50 like some vendors have them priced.

Back