• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A slightly modded SX-64

Kaptain Skitzo

Experienced Member
On the edge of Sanity, just outside the border.
Due to the internal drive being dead, and considering that it'd be a pain in the butt to carry the SX AND additional hardware...I decided to mount a 1581 onto the outter case. The cables and powersupply for the 1581 fit into the carry bag that velcro's to the handle.
site1028.JPG

I'd have probably just replaced the drive-mechanics and/or controller-PCB inside the SX-64, thus sparing the 1581, not to mention the good looks of an immaculate SX...

...But that's just me :lol:

Actually, I attemped just such a thing...problem was the drive board wouldn't fit(and has different connectors), and oddly enough, the drive mechs aren't interchangable either(at least, I couldn't get them to fit). It seems that Commodore used custom hardware for the SX. I figure it was to prevent people from making their own repairs. *shrug*

Oh, and the SX isn't "perfect" by a long shot...the handles screw-covers are missing, as well as one of the backing plates for the handle. So I wasn't really stressing about messing up a perfect unit.
It does work, although adds a couple of pounds to it's already insane weight.
:wink:

It should be just a "regular" 1541 in there...Hmm... Well, I must admit I haven't tried replacing it myself, since the drive works just fine in mine :D ..

You know, you could reduce some of that insane weight by removing the defective internal drive. Apart from the PSU, and possibly the CRT, that's the heaviest thing in there...

I'd still have to leave the front bezel of the drive in there, whomever had it before me, added a couple of reset switches(one for the drive, one for the whole computer). Besides, it's not like I actually take it anywhere, so the weight isn't much of a problem.

Something I've been thinking of doing, and this is kinda mean spirited...but since I've had so many problems with Best Buy....I was thinking about taking it to them and asking them to repair the drive. I know they wouldn't have a clue of what it is, let alone how to fix it. I just want to screw up their day. :twisted:

Back