• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sperry RVR computer.

duo

I have this interesting old machine, from Sperry Gyroscope Ottawa (Canada) and I'm trying to find out if anyone has seen one.

It's quite a machine, three rackmounted cases with cards and cables to connect it together. It has a power supply/control unit, a time base, and the data processor.

The task of the computer is simply to calculate a number based on an input of pulses vs. time. More or less an enormous high accuracy digital frequency counter if anything.

Just thought it might be interesting to post about this old thing. See if anyone knows of it.

RVR_1.jpg

RVR_2.jpg

Cards.jpg

Cards_2.jpg

RVR_Display.jpg

Computer Collector said:
Wow, that thing looks pretty old.

How did you upload pictures? I didnt know we could do that here.

He didn't upload them.. They are hosted on another server and he's using the img bbtage to display them in his post.

Yeah, they're hosted on my server.

Yes, the computer is old, 1963 to my knowledge. And it seems to be completely unknown to anyone I find.

duo said:
Yes, the computer is old, 1963 to my knowledge. And it seems to be completely unknown to anyone I find.

Our FAA used a system named RVR which would tell Air Traffic Controllers about visibility at runway level. There was also a RVV.

Back