• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Arcadetech04

1. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Just a small update on my pdp-8/L. Yea, it’s been a while, but I got the last part for my chip tester. And it worked great until I broke a pin on the test clip. But I did get to test all the M111 flip chips. Wow!! There were 7 of these with my 8/L. 2 tested ok, 5 were bad. Out of that 5, 11 of...
  2. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Thanks for the information. I must be spoiled, because I am an Arcade tech, our manuals have a Diagnostic menu. It would that the 8/L does not. Bummer Dude.
  3. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Does anyone have a test program to help diagnose problems for the pdp-8L ? Paper tape, hex, octal or Binary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  4. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

A small update and a question that’s probably going to cause you all to say something like WTH ??? I’m waiting for a tool to help me on my 8/L project, nothing new here. Also work at the arcade piling up. The other day, I ran into an old photo of a desktop computer with a Flexowriter. It’s a...
  5. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Yes, the power supply is working and is correct. The second power supply came to me in a zillion peices and a very corroded frame. It’s a mess. Looks like it was robbed for parts as the fuse holders, rfi is missing. Also a weird looking rectifier appears to be missing as well.
  6. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Ok, switches and lights work. Got that. Manual timing board… that’s the M700 board. I believe it is working. I also know that I have 4 M220 major registers working. The last two has issues. I have tried to find your thread on fixing your 8/L but was unable to locate it. Link maybe?
  7. A

DEC Tape Drive Tester

I love test gear. And that one that you have, I would love to have one too. Cool find
  8. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

If you are from Gridley, then we just may know each other. Do you know anything about a Christmas tree farm 9 miles north of Paradise? I would love to take a good look at that tester. I think I did, but I’ll check again. I cable and clip is now sitting in the post office. Should have it by...
  9. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Thanks for the links.
  10. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Ok, that’s good to know. Question??? Is there a thread on this flip chip tester?? I would like to know more about it. Please, I’m new to dec equipment. I restored Altair 8800, IMSAI 8080 Kim-1, comadore’s Pet and apple II and IIe. And living in this god forsaken warehouse really sucks.
  11. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

That’s true. I have thought of using a number of 6522 PIAs and connect them to my pro log computer. That would work too. But the question would be, and I really don’t have an answer to… Does this flip chip tester tell me what chip is faulty or just that the board is faulty ?
  12. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Correct. From what I experienced from the arcade industry, the flip chip traces are thicker than the ones you see on a PAC Man board or the Driver board on a F14-Tomcat Pinball Machine. So basically, you can only replace he IC once. If you install a socket, then the IC may sit too high on the...
  13. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Well yes, I have limited internet. I do all of my internet through this IPhone. Just to recap, my house and everything in it burned to the ground along with the town of paradise in November 2018. I’m living in a warehouse with no internet, no heat and no AC. Just a roll up door, simple bathroom...
  14. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

After I got it, I checked it out and as it turns out, it can check RTL, DTL, ECL and TTLs. The supply voltage can be eather 5 volts or 3.6 volts. There is also a step switch. This can operate on 117 vac or 220 vac. I also ordered a pair of test clips with cables. With this setup, I can set the...
  15. A

Me and my pdp-8/L

Hello everyone. Thought I would share my work on this pdp-8/L project. While I waited for the ICs to come in, I have been reading on testing ICs and DECs Flip Chips. As it stands, there seems that there are 3-4 ways to test these flip chips. First way, using a volt ohm meter. That checks to see...
Back