• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by bakemono

1. B

How picky is NT 4.0 with CPUs?

You mentioned it was a SCSI disk. If you don't also have the SCSI card that it was originally connected to, then the most likely result of trying to boot it is an "inaccessible boot device" BSOD when it can't find the card. If you do have the card, then I'd say ignore the naysayers and try it...
  2. B

Obsolete ICs datasheets

most of what I can see in the photo would be covered in The TTL Data Book http://www.bitsavers.org/components/ti/_dataBooks/1981_TI_The_TTL_Data_Book_For_Design_Engineers_2ed.pdf
  3. B

What are good examples of Windows Vista/7 era laptops that can run XP?

Again, not true. Why not read up on what a PCI BAR is? https://www.patreon.com/posts/44371506 When using 32-bit BARs, the CPU can't see more than 256MB at a time. Doesn't really need to anyway, because for large data transfers the GPU itself can just use DMA to copy from system RAM. listing of...
  4. B

What are good examples of Windows Vista/7 era laptops that can run XP?

Video memory doesn't compete with system RAM in the memory map. The video driver accesses the card through a 256MB window. You can have 3GB RAM and 2GB VRAM under 32-bit Windows no problem. With that being said, few if any games that run on XP need 2GB of VRAM. If you want a cheap AMD system...
  5. B

Z280 homebrew board plan

My Z280 now has a 1MB Trident SVGA card. Photo of hardware: http://www.hyakushiki.net/misc/z-svga1.jpg Photo of amazing monitor test pattern: http://www.hyakushiki.net/misc/z-svga2.jpg Getting that to work was harder than I expected. I had first tried a CL-GD5x0 VGA card, then briefly a CHIPS...
  6. B

Using XP

.NET Framework isn't needed to run imgburn or duplicate a CD. I'm going to say that OP had autorun enabled and by inserting the CD inadvertently started some program on the CD that displayed the message about needing .NET. BTW, the latest browsers for XP are roytam1's Serpent and Newmoon, MyPal...
  7. B

Anyone ever though about a clone/improvement on those RAM-drives?

Getting FPGAs to mesh with common interfaces (like DIMMs, PCIe, etc.) is generally a solved problem. You can get code for a DDR controller from github.
  8. B

Z280 homebrew board plan

Hi Plasmo, I saw a post about one of your earlier boards a couple years back. Didn't know you were also working on a ZBUS version! Are there any interesting secrets you've discovered about the Z280 that may have been missing or wrong in the documentation?
  9. B

Z280 homebrew board plan

first signs of life from this, in the form of some blinking LEDs http://www.hyakushiki.net/misc/z280-led.JPG Right now the 7128 is just directly feeding a pair of instructions to the CPU. The instructions load the A register, and write it out to I/O port $80 which is then reflected on the LEDs...
  10. B

Enabling UDMA on system that supports it but no option in BIOS

In 2k/XP you should be able to right-click on the 'Primary IDE Channel' in the device manager to bring up a properties window with DMA settings. Maybe you need the Via chipset drivers installed? If you want UDMA under DOS you could try Jack Ellis drivers.
  11. B

CF cards and changing PIO modes (enable IORDY)

Not sure about IORDY enablement, but the transfer rate is going to be controlled on the interface end, not by the storage device. If the CF card is connected to a standard PCI-IDE controller then you should be able to get PIO mode 3/4 by way of a BIOS setting or by poking PCI-IDE registers. If...
  12. B

How can it be this fast, assuming it is

8086 instructions take a relatively large number of cycles. At least 4 cycles for any memory access, and you must include opcode fetches there too. Dozens of cycles for a multiply. On a 486 most instructions will run in 1-3 cycles. On a Pentium MMX you have branch prediction and can also issue...
  13. B

Which computer companies fabbed their own Silicon?

IBM also produced Cyrix 6x86s and chips for the Atari Jaguar. NEC produced a lot chips. Memory, Z80s, 8086s, the various V-series CPUs including both CISC (V20, V60) and RISC (V810, V830), the old 7220 display chip, and later a PowerVR GPU... Hitachi made Z80, 6809, and 68000-compatible chips...
  14. B

Problems with the IBM PC AT (5170)

this is the BIOS code following post code 0x27 00000C93 B027 mov al,0x27 00000C95 E680 out 0x80,al 00000C97 B855AA mov ax,0xaa55 00000C9A E782 out 0x82,ax 00000C9C E482 in al,0x82 00000C9E 86C4 xchg al,ah 00000CA0...
  15. B

Problems with the IBM PC AT (5170)

My AT had a failed MC146818, which indeed resulted in a blank screen when attempting to boot with the IBM BIOS. With an AMI 286 BIOS the system would display an error message "CMOS INOPERATIONAL" and then halt. Looking at the disassembly of the IBM BIOS, near the code that writes 0x21 to port...
Back