• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Bentendo64

1. B

Dual 8 inch QUMETRAK 842 rack mount floppy drive restoration

In case anyone is interested, I have a Power One PSU that I traced out the schematic for one day. It's a 28V version though, and I'll have to check the model number later. But perhaps the schematic is similar to the one in this thread. The two AC sources are different taps on the transformer...
  2. B

Obsolete ICs datasheets

I've been going here: https://www.datasheetcatalog.com/ for quite a while. They don't have everything, but it is definitely a good starting point and they don't have ads/pop-ups.
  3. B

Dallas DS1287 battery hack - necessary to disconnect internal battery?

I'll chime in on the battery question... Generally speaking, you do not want to recharge primary lithium cells. They are a rather fragile chemistry, and even pulling too much current from them can cause thermal runaway. Related, per FAA rules, all Li chemistry batteries of a certain size and...
  4. B

What are good examples of Windows Vista/7 era laptops that can run XP?

The Dell XPS M1710 would be a good candidate if it weren't for the Intel CPU. I was using one up til 2016. They have a great display other than the fact it is a little dim. Had an Asus laptop from that era, looks like I sold it in 2014. Turion 64 CPU. I can't find the model, but here are some...
  5. B

Looking for a flyback transformer for an Eizo TX-C7 MA-791 17" CRT

If you can hear the flashover, are you sure the flyback is bad? Have you run it in a dark room with the back off to look for the spark? It could just need some cleaning... Don't mean to throw you off your tracks, I just know FBTs don't typically go bad.
  6. B

IBM 8513 Monitor width

What kind of meter do you have? I typically don't trust most multimeters under 10-20 ohms... If you have an ammeter and voltmeter you can trust, you can put a known current through the resistor and measure the voltage, then apply Ohm's law.
  7. B

Component reuse -- it's a real thing

Hopefully stuff like this will push the industry to design for repairability. I think that could relieve some pressure on the re-qualifying procedure as well, since in the 3rd-party repair world we don't tend to care as much about the authenticity of a component, as long as it works. They could...
  8. B

What kind of connector is this? Looks similar to S-Video

Hirose RP17 looks pretty close to what I can see in your pictures... https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/circular-connector-housings/320?s=N4IgTCBcDaIE4AcCMB2EBdAvkA...
  9. B

What kind of connector is this? Looks similar to S-Video

You got dimensions? Looks like Hirose might make something compatible: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/hirose-electric-co-ltd/RP17-13RA-12SD-71/1035206 A search for 12-pin Hirose brings up a number of options...
  10. B

Cheap composite monitor

The 5" PSOne or clone displays shipped with the smaller version of the Playstation 1 are pretty excellent. Unfortunately they're pretty expensive these days. Back in the 2006-2012 era, we were using them to make portable Nintendos and such. We also used the generic 3.5" "backup camera display"...
  11. B

The curse of fake parts out of China.

There are a number of methods for extracting MCU program memory contents that were effective up until the mid-2000s when the manufacturers started designing against them. Have you tried any of these tricks? I'm not too savvy on them, but I know many involve special power/reset timings and...
  12. B

Which retro Pentium for Win XP?

I had a Radeon x1950 Pro back in the day. Single slot, but did require one PCIe power connection.
  13. B

Termcaps for VT100

If you really want a long serial link, and money isn't an issue... https://selinc.com/products/communications/transceivers/single-mode-transceivers/ Not sure how much cables would cost on top of that!
  14. B

Machinist X99 Motherboards?

Just curious Chuck, do you go through the hassle of installing the proprietary Nvidia drivers on systems like this, or stick with Nouveau? (I only say hassle because my laptop has a Nvidia chip with the legacy 390.xx driver, or Nouveau. Both are a hassle in my experience.)
  15. B

End of repairable PCBs?

This seems similar to "glob-top" ICs on really cheap mass-produced PCBs. I can see it catching on for cell phones and the like. My question is, why even order parts that come in a package at this stage? Build the board as normal, test it, then install all your ICs as glob-tops. I suppose the...
Back