• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Betamax80

1. B

Book 8088 discovery and modification thread

@sergey I'm getting a type of boostrap from the picomem - it basically confirms the build of the ROM, then on the same line it goes "init... end" - kind of like its unpacking its main interface but then not displaying it. There is supposed to be an interactive mode which goes to a whole settings...
  2. B

I suppose that for testing purposes, the ideal would be n0p's BIOS, with loading of extensions allowed but without XUB built into the flash file? Unfortunately FreddyV has not yet released source to the ROM extension, and I maybe wrong but I don't see any hints.... it may well be that XTIDE is...
  3. B

@sergey I wonder if you could provide any advice on this issue - I've just got one of FreddyV's PicoMEM boards, but the BIOS on that card cant INIT because the XTIDE takes over. Is there a way to deal with this on the Book8088? Perhaps even getting the PicoMEM to load the XTIDE BIOS? I'm using...
  4. B

You can buy one very bare-bones and then buy individual adapters, or you can buy bundles with varying numbers on Amazon. I have a T48 and I'm very pleased with it. Very straightforward for a newbie and the software isn't bad once you get used to it.
  5. B

I forget quite why now but I seem to recall a lot of warnings that everything needed to be 512mb or smaller for the Book8088 (the CH375 USB stick as well as the CF card). If you use on thats larger you might need to repartition it to 512mb.
  6. B

PicoMEM Project : Pi Pico on an ISA Board.

Ahhh yes that sounds straightforward! Thank you :)
  7. B

Thats fair enough. I did wonder if the XTIDE was overtaking. It's intriguing - the bootstrap was there but simply said the strapline and then... end, before the XTIDE loaded. Is it something @n0p could create an option for in the BIOS?
  8. B

Interesting.... I now have a bootstrap for the picomem but I'm not sure how I access the setup programme? I'm on IRQ5.
  9. B

Hi @FreddyV - I've hooked my new PicoMEM up to my Book 8088 v2. I'm using @n0p BIOS 1.0.6 - I'm getting a halt / ROM skip with POST code BP62 on my QWIIC display. Could you give me config info of how you get your Book8088 to boot into the PicoMEM?
  10. B

Sorry for not having the expertise to dump the ROM from my chips - but I can say to you that yes, I received a new driver board FOC in February, I've just changed it out tonight and can confirm it is working in VGA modes properly, and I'm not seeing alignment issues at the moment. Additionally...
  11. B

I'm excited to try the PicoMEM 1.11 on the Book8088 - I see that FreddyV already uses one for testing so I have good hopes for it. I'm going to upgrade the bios to n0p's 1.0.6 to make sure that I have good floppy support, and I'll report back when it arrives.
  12. B

I've been offered a replacement LCD driver board for free - even a few months later. I do think thats great.
  13. B

I believe there was a very very rare NEC chip that complemented the V20? The 8087 get super warm - even the maker of the book8088 has said to me he knows its not well implemented. The laptop can't even supply power reliably to the XT-IDE components with it in, slight issue and the serious heat...
  14. B

Is there anyone making the more conventional "xt-fdc" card at all? Or is anyone aware of other new cards being made - for FDC? Also am I missing something - are these USB > FDD boards just to allow a FDD to become "external" or do they actually allow disk emulators to work right thought...
  15. B

If I was to get a new FDC controller such as the Texelec QuadFlop, would I need to use the BIOS on the card or would it interfere with any kind of floppy support in the main (nOp v1.0.5) BIOS?
Back