• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Bitly

1. B

Install VMS on an Vax server 3100

That is likely the source of the SCSI-B error, and can be ignored. CW
  2. B

Install VMS on an Vax server 3100

E is time-of-year clock C is serial port 6 is SCSI-B 1 is ethernet (probably not terminated) I don't know if the SCSI-B failure is an issue or not. The others shouldn't be a problem. Make sure the SCSI goes from the interface card to each drive and back to the interface card. There shouldn't...
  3. B

Replacement circuit DEC 8266

Is there any documentation on these 'special' DEC parts besides the block diagrams that show up in various appendices? I've been looking for more documentation (prop. delay, pin drive, etc) on the DC101, DC003 and DEC8646 chips. I'm suspecting I'll have to pull them from a working board and...
  4. B

Packing RL02 cartridges for transport

I hadn't considered platter sag. I always assumed the on-edge storage was to fit more in a cabinet, but it make sense. Fortunately, they have been in a DEC RL02 cabinet for the last 20+ years. CW
  5. B

Packing RL02 cartridges for transport

I'm preparing to move, and I need to box up ~25 RL02 cartridges. What is the best (correct?) way to package them? They aren't going to be shipped, but they will be loaded/unloaded by people that I suspect won't honor 'FRAGILE' markings. My current plan is to buy some 16x16x12 double wall...
  6. B

Battery-bombed MicroVAX 3100/90

Depends on your patience and level of skill. It looks like most of the Cypress parts and at least two DIMM sockets will have to be removed. I hope you have a good SMD hot air station. Given that they are $500+ on ebay, I'd say it is worth it. CW
  7. B

Booting PDP from VAX

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this subject. If memory serves, certain 11/23 CPUs contain boot ROMs that know how to control a DEQNA, so my guess would be the 11/23 would try to boot from a MOP server hosted by the VAX. The boot file should be named based on the ethernet address of the DEQNA...
  8. B

LQP02 Troubleshooting

I can't find any documentation online for the LQP02 (schematics, etc). If you have hardcopies please scan them so they can be added to bitsavers. I found schematics in the LQP02 tech manual on manx. It sounds like there is a short on the digital board which causes L1/L2 to burn out. A likely...
  9. B

Capacitor damaged on a VaxStation 3100

Both those options should work electrically. I didn't check the physical size. CW
  10. B

Unfortunately, I've already put them away. I'm in the process of painting, so everything is piled under tarps. I did look at an older machine, and it matches the schematic on bitsavers. Page 65 shows the component placement, and C5 (just below the power connector) is a visual match. The parts...
  11. B

I looked at one of my 3100s, and I have the same board. On closer inspection, I believe the component is an old style tantalum capacitor based on the pin protruding from the positive end, but I don't have any idea of the value. Like yours, mine doesn't have any visible markings. I think I have...
  12. B

Puzzling. The M38 should have a KA42 motherboard, but it doesn't match the component locations in the online documents. Perhaps it's a different board revision? It's also possible the motherboard was upgraded to a KA43 (M76) without re-badging the case, but that seems unlikely. In any event...
  13. B

What model 3100? The KA42 schematics are on bitsavers (here), but they don't match the component locations shown in your picture. CW
  14. B

DEC RA92 Troubleshooting

The spindle lock may not be unlocking. Check the manual page 6-20 to see how to bypass. CW
  15. B

Can anyone tell me what these disks are?

The B indicates it is an optional software component. See DEC Standard section 21. Curiously, BI-xxxxx isn't listed. CW
Back