• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by bushmechanic

1. B

Want to buy an MCA sound card for my 8580 PS/2, mainly Chipchat or Soundpiper

I'm after a sound card for my MCA system, primarily to get sound in a hand-full of memorable old games. As far as I can tell, the Chipchat and Soundpiper cards are likely the best way to go for compatibility. Some notes: 1: It's got to be in proper working condition. 2: I'd prefer there be...
  2. B

Floppy reliability. Is it just me?

It's always seemed to me that 5.25" disks are much more reliable than 3.5" disks. Perhaps it's better production standards, given their age. Maybe it's data density, and less is indeed more in this venue. I've even wondered if the nature of their proper floppiness has anything to do with it...
  3. B

8087 for a 5150 build

I'm after a functional genuine 8087. This machine will remain running at the factory clock, so any appropriate unit that can keep itself in reasonable thermal check (for an 8087; I know they can run hot) will suffice. I'm supposed to say how much I'm going to pay, according to the rules, but...
  4. B

Custom 5150 project

Here is possibly the worst picture I've ever taken, but my real setup is currently too small for this, it's going to be raining for the next few days, and I'm just too tired to care. Really butchered the depth of field. Forgot I had the camera set up for my Ebay light box. LOL It's also...
  5. B

Custom 5150 project

The frame has been coated. Here's a shot of it partially through stripping. I showed up late, and just asked him to stop and snap a shot. That's what he did. LMAO Not really important. Everyone knows what these look like off the rack, and I'm sure we can all imagine them bare. I'll try...
  6. B

5150 keyboard issue 3B 301

I thought I'd post this here before I really went at it, in the event someone just happened to know what is going on. The period key on this board stopped working, and stopped "pinging", as if the spring wasn't behaving properly. So, I pulled the cap and cleaned a little bit, installed it...
  7. B

Office/Gaming/Task/House chairs

I just thought I'd crank out a thread mentioning things like this. I'll go into detail later, but for now, I thought I'd just note that in my opinion, Global Total Office manufactures the best darn chairs in the business. Just bought another High back multi-tilt Malaga, and I'm loving every...
  8. B

Custom 5150 project

A little while back, I received a second 5150 in the mail, meaning to mix and match components with my other unit. Unfortunately, the internal components weren't completely installed, and were essentially totaled after the container was dropped (from what appears to be quite a height). I...
  9. B

Games on my 5150 HDD. What needs to be sent to archive?

I just wrote a list of everything on the HDD in the games folder, so you may have to sort through some oddball files here, but the list may turn up something important: GAME FOLDERS NFL Shockingly detailed sports simulator (appears to be "NFL Challenge from 1985) Too big for one...
  10. B

DOS version compatibility 5150

I've got a 5150 I've been working on, and I just don't have the commands I'm used to. I'd like to know which versions of DOS this is capable of running, but I'm having trouble finding any solid related information. It boots from a functional hardcard, but I'm not sure how much longer it will...
  11. B

Help identifying a memory expansion card

I'll think about it. I think I can get by with the slots I have available. I wanted a 5150 anyway, just for fun. I also ended up with a Heath 150-307 EGA/VGA card. That bugger looks pretty serious. I've got a Hercules "Color Card" in there now. It's a short card, that I believe will fit...
  12. B

Help identifying a memory expansion card

I searched around, both here and on the net, and even perused Ebay to no concrete end. Located similar cards, but not this one. I'd rather like to finish off the memory in my 5150, but I'm not sure if I want to use this card or not. I kind of wanted the old short IBM unit, if I'm honest, to...
  13. B

Tank Wars

I know there's at least a few here who have enjoyed the game released in 1990. It's always been one of my favorites. Mr. Kenneth Morse (as credited) really achieved a great balance of pretty much everything with this release. None of the new games in the genre are quite this fun. Everything...
  14. B

Can I just waste space when formatting?

I've never even tried this before. I'm building a PC with this motherboard: http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/kr632/KR632.htm I want to install DOS 6.22. Simple enough. Obviously, however, I can't just grab a hard drive that is small enough to keep everyone in there happy. Let's assume I'm...
  15. B

Now I'm cleaning up a Tandy 1000

I should have took some shots of it together, but I didn't. :( I'll list the specs in a while. For now, after a general scrubbing, I'm going to have to get some yellow off the keys. The computer itself is pretty much spotless now aside from the back panel, so I'll hit that as well...
Back