• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by czunit

1. C

DEC units on ebay

Oh it's $4,000 *each*? Ok. I was thinking "4k for 4 I guess one could build a pdp8 cluster or something...."
  2. C

Obnoxious eBay "please use our app!" popover

*sigh* I see a lot more value these days for the javascript disable button. Works especially well with the "We see you're using an adblocker" apps that I just don't want to run on my desktop browser. And it's kind of fun to watch youtube try to get around the fact that no, I don't wish to run a...
  3. C

RX01 RT-11 no disk error 17

First of course: Is the belt on the bottom of the drive? Second: the IR light for sectors may be going out. Check it with a phone camera to see if it is lit and as bright as the other one.
  4. C

DEC units on ebay

Nope. RM03 could run on a 15a 120 volt circuit. If you had two of them you could hook up the spindle delay line and run two on a 15a circuit. Too fast for a normal pdp11, but fine for a Decsystem20
  5. C

DEC units on ebay

All sorts of weird stuff this week, but I really don't know if I want an RM03. So was the RK05-F two platters, or just one double density RK05 that didn't have to worry about pack removal?
  6. C

Setting up a DECnet network with a Pro380 and Windows client?

Chip leads clipped. Use a really sharp nipper to minimize stress on the board. Flux is your friend, put it on first and use zephlux. But if possible see if you can figure out what diag is flunking first.
  7. C

Oh, I thought a second person chimed in on the thread. Let us know how the new chips go, I'd really like to have someone else with a working card.
  8. C

Really? How does it fail, and is it bombing the same way this one does? There might be a relationship. And if the board is physically the same as mine there might be either a blown chip or bad ROM code sinking them.
  9. C

Hm. That's interesting. I wonder how the OS accesses it, normally you put the buffers over in pool space, not in random places in memory. Next time I boot it I'll check and see what/how it allocates memory in RMD. From what I can see there was support in 3.2 to set up a Pro as a network server...
  10. C

I think the DECNA memory is "real" memory and is mapped for general use. From what I saw in a technical document the issue was a stock Pro/350 with 512k of memory doesn't have enough to run the Decnet stuff, so they made sure you would with a bit of memory. However it's possible that they...
  11. C

Interesting limit. I wonder why 3mb as opposed to 2 or 4. The IO page can't be that big on a Pro :) Note: I'll try to take pics tonight after work, have to go to Chicago for 2 days in the early morning.
  12. C

Simple jumper, easy to do. I recommend using an IR pre-heater to warm up the board, then either hot air or a nice soldering iron to desolder the chips. To be honest though just cutting the leads and pulling the pins one by one is a heck of a lot simpler. Then clear the holes with wick (easy if...
  13. C

Interesting stuff. My reason for the last card was that when I tried to stuff my Pro/380 like a turkey I found that the Decna would throw errors if it was not in the last slot. I thought it might be due to the CTI extension bus not having all the wires for all the devices bussed. A similar...
  14. C

PDP11 - RX01 Writing disks

You could always try swapping the physical drives in the RX01, then testing. If the problem still happens the issue is on the RX01 controller board. If not it's the 8 inch drive.
  15. C

Other questions: 1) Do you have any other cards in your 380? Try removing everything possible to simplify. 2) How much memory do you have? The DECNA has an additional 128kb of memory because the original Pro/350 had 512k of memory which was not enough to load all the Decnet stuff. However I...
Back