• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by deathshadow

1. deathshadow

Opinion needed... Building MDA game.

I really don't care about snow removal, and specifically am going 80x25 and using top/bottom halves so I can have regular text on the screen too. When you can get 80x50 out of the 80x25 mode (and 160x25 at the same time just not in the same character) the 40x25 is far less useful, snow be...
  2. deathshadow

Or more like PETSCII robots. But then working games and actual applications always impress me more than demos. Part of why I get along with Commodore fans like sodium and water. Generally speaking I never understood much less was impressed by the "demoscene". The moment you put user interaction...
  3. deathshadow

write to 0xB800 instead of 0xB000.
  4. deathshadow

To clarify, I should have said semigraphics. 3 tone 80x50. (wish you could use the 4th reliably) Though I may also mix in some 160x25. Better than the ZX-81's 64x48. I'm actually surprised at the lack of games of the ZX-81 "style" for text mode. I mean it's even spitting distance from TRS-80...
  5. deathshadow

I'm working on a project where I'm making the graphics compatible back to MDA. (yes, that's a thing)... but I'm just not getting enough horsepower for the non-video aspect of it. (Audio, level sizes) Is it a waste of time to make an MDA game that's 286+ only? It feels wrong.
  6. deathshadow

Not entirely OT, but drawing with CSS...

Ok, got it. When you use CSS rotations Safari apparently utterly, totally, and completely ignores 30 year old HTML depth sorting rules, so you have to perform a "translateZ" to get it to work. Did I ever tell you what I think about Apple? Did I ever tell you the definition... of insanity?
  7. deathshadow

Ah the steaming ****-show that is Apple. There's a reason a lot of web developers are calling Safari "The new IE". It's almost as if instead of writing their own browser engine they just stole an open source one, refused to contribute back to it, and then had Google abscond with all the talented...
  8. deathshadow

On my websites I use HTML and CSS to do drawings a lot. I've even got a in progress project where I'm going to have a website where you can play old text games ported to JavaScript, displayed on what looks like a TRS-80 monitor. (right down to the scanlines) On twitter I came across someone...
  9. deathshadow

I created floppy images of Scott Adams Adventure Games for CP/M on Nabu

Ooh, the goodies keep coming. I played the crap out of these on a Model III. Wonder how hard it would be to make a scottfree interpreter in JavaScript. There's C source for multiple different ones. Be fun to put these up online somewhere without needing an old PC emulator.
  10. deathshadow

Hercules Plus and/or InColor Detection and Font Setting

I should have just gone straight to John Elliot's reference for the MDA. I didn't think he had any herc data, but it's at the bottom. https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/mda.html#clones Apparently there's actually a card identifier on one of the ports: Reading from port 03BAh returns vertical...
  11. deathshadow

CoCo 1 Rev D Board: Upgrading from 16K to 64K

This is why I was such a fan of the revison F board. Just swap the socketed chips and clip out the terminating resistors. Though yeah, getting a proper ROM is a pain. For some reason my F board Coco (that came in a stack of "dead" machines) had colour basic 1.0 so when I did the upgrade it...
  12. deathshadow

Thank you very much. Exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I've also got someone sending me a manual for it. When I get it I'll scan and share.
  13. deathshadow

Working on Plantronics Viewer

MOVSW is an even bigger friend, since even on 8088 it's faster. Each MOVSB takes 16 clocks, so to move two bytes that's 32 clocks not counting opcode fetching. MOVSW takes 24 clocks so you get two bytes moved for 8 less clocks every loop. Just cut your CX in half. mov si, Data mov...
  14. deathshadow

Whilst I have a working inColor card in my collection, my Google-fu is failing me at coming up with any meaningful information on programming the text mode fonts on it. I also remember that the GB112 (aka Hercules Plus) could also do custom fonts. Lowest target for my project is MDA, but I was...
Back