• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by DeltaDon

1. D

Brother Super Power Note PN-8500MDS

I have two floppy disks, one is "Brother conversion software and the other is "Bus letters, spreadsheet templates, Turnabout game and Lotus 123 file conversion". No Tetris disk. But until I get the keyboard working I'll not worry about playing games.
  2. D

Did some more testing and the 8500MDS has a keyboard problem with many keys not working. Next step will be to disassemble the case and pull the keyboard out and see if it is a foam pad problem. If so , I hope the TexElec new foam pads fit, I know they aren't the exactly correct pads for Epson...
  3. D

Help with getting dos on a cf card with a modern pc

I've used Rufus with more than a few dozen CF's. I'll have to look at the smallest size I've done, but I've done a stack of 2GB CF's. Older versions of Rufus would load MS DOS or FreeDOS, the latest version is now asking for a bin file. for MS DOS. One trick I've used with Rufus is to load...
  4. D

Help with getting dos on a cf card with a modern pc

Free to D/L program called Rufus allows formatting and installing .bin files onto a CF card plus hard drives. Loading MS DOS is one of the options along with loading FreeDOS. MS DOS installs do ask for the bin file location, but FreeDOS loads without a need to D/L any bin file.
  5. D

My Brother (BSPN) PN-8500MDS arrived a week or so ago and appeared to be NOS or an extremely mint used. No main battery, but did have a 2032 clock/backup coin cell. Included was a manual and two 3.5" floppy diskettes. No AC adapter and after checking my Radio Shack adjustable voltage Adaptplug...
  6. D

Looking for a replica of the original CP/M 2.2 8 inch disk

Chuck, I recently picked up a 5.25" Teac floppy drive and it came with a stack of diskettes. There was a Sydex copy of 22Disk included in the stack along with a couple of Sydex utility diskettes.
  7. D

Desoldering technique

All the above are very good to excellent suggestions. Good quality wick is a blessing and I've settled on Superwick vs. any other brand. There might be others or even better brands, but the eBay cheap stuff is nearly useless for most jobs. One idea I didn't see above is to preheat a...
  8. D

What are good examples of Windows Vista/7 era laptops that can run XP?

The need for 1080P plus an AMD CPU in a laptop really limits your choices. I'm trying to remember if I ever owned a laptop meeting those limits and can't remember one. One of my Windows ME/XP laptops I did use for a long time was an AMS Tech TravelPro 2500 that I upgraded to a K6-3+ CPU and 256K...
  9. D

Thanks, I take look for them.
  10. D

Got to see if it even boots first. That could be the first challenge. I have a NEC Starlet laptop with CP/M plus a complete Wordstar suite of programs in ROM. Perhaps a modified ROM swap replacing the Brother OS with some hooks to the Brother hardware could be done?
  11. D

Dual 8 inch QUMETRAK 842 rack mount floppy drive restoration

I'll bet the TO-3 power transistors are 2N3055's, I have a 4 slot S-100 rack that had a small linear power supply board just for the two 8" drives. That supply had 2N3055's mounted to the main case more or less like your power sup;ply used the case for a heatsink. Your supply is a notch or two...
  12. D

I have a Brother word processor/laptop shipping to me. Not much information on it online other than owner's manual etc. It is supposed to be able to read/write to 3.5" disks with IBM formats, but is running a clone Z80 CPU. Has anyone determined if it is running some form of CP/M with shell or...
  13. D

I guess its that time of year again...

I only have an acre now we're back in NY and it's all grass, but our property backs up to many acres of town watershed forested land. We used to have lots of turkeys, but none for the last few years. I think bird flu or some other disease killed most of them off. Or maybe the coyotes that seem...
  14. D

Cromemco dazzler replica project

I wonder if a Delta Products (later XOR Data Science) 64K DRAM board would function correctly with a Dazzler? It claims to be DMA and Cromemco bank select compatible. There is a note about 14 ᶙs max DMA time limit in the doc's.. Link on S100 Computers website...
Back