• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by dreniarb

1. D

Any recommendations for a good DOS file manager?

Back in the day I used Directory Magic. Loved the program. I've tried using it again on my recently acquired IBM 5150 but I've come to find that it will not move directories (at least not that I can see). I found Directory Freedom here but it also appears to be unable to handle directories...
  2. D

5150 - trouble using fdisk and formatting a 20mb hard drive

Perhaps I am missing some steps here. I am trying to remove the partition info on a 20mb drive that has double space installed on it and just reformatting it as a standard 20mb drive. 1. Boot to dos disk 2. Run fdisk and delete partition 3. Create a primary dos partition and set it active 4...
  3. D

Just purchased the computer I used in elementary - having trouble though

Success! Success! Ladies and gentlemen this right here makes this purchase worth every single penny I spent! I know that with help from people here I can work through the other issues. But this, this was my main goal. I am unbelievably happy right now. :D
  4. D

I think you are correct, that would match the two types of drives currently in the system. I have changed the jumpers and attempted to boot the computer but I am just not having luck with this thing... I now get this error when it boots: The hard drive makes what I would call a groaning...
  5. D

Ha, of course! Jumpers! It's been a long time... 11 year old me would have known this. :D I need to defer to some brighter minds here as I am not quite sure what settings should be in place. Here is how they currently are: According to this picture here and these labels this is how I have...
  6. D

I've cycled through 5 different 3.5" drives and a handful of floppies. Honestly I do not know if any of these are actually good but I keep getting "General failure reading drive b:" every time I try to browse for files. The drive does light up and seek but errors out every time. Perhaps this...
  7. D

It is a Samsung CD-1453M1. It plugs straight into the wall, not the back of the power supply.
  8. D

Well, a bit of good news but not completely. I put all the boards back in and the computer booted up! Dos 6.2 is installed which would have been a surprise had I not just heard from the seller who said the computer used to belong to an engineer at his place of work. I that explains why the...
  9. D

The hard drive controller: It's Western Digital I assume? The floppy controller: The only significant marking on the reverse side of the floppy controller. A multi input output board. I had never seen something like this with the odd attachment that hangs off the back of the case. :)...
  10. D

Here are pics of the computer and the different parts in case it's helpful or if anyone is up to giving me some info about any of them. The layout before removing the cards: This is an Intel 287 XL Math CoProcessor. The box came with the computer. I assume this allows the computer to...
  11. D

I recently purchased an IBM 5150 off ebay. It was the first PC I ever owned. My grandfather bought it for me in 86 or 87. It was the catalyst that lead me down the path to being where I am now, a network administrator. Enough nostalgia though! :) It arrived fine last Friday, packed well. I...
Back