• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by flynth

1. F

Game port joystick range of motion/sensitivity.

I didn't have a chance to do much with the joystick yet, but I'll reply to the below based on previous findings. This is very interesting. To quantify "moving on its own" is usually about 5% of the visible range raising to 10% occasionally. That's why once I set 12% dead zone I could play...
  2. F

Great, thank you for publishing it. I'll give it a try.
  3. F

24 pin dot matrix impact printers popularity back in the day.

Even today most of my laser prints are in 300dpi. I have to check if there is a pc version of this software. The other day I had an idea to print a bunch of stickers (with component names for tiny drawers with electronic parts). I had the sticker paper for ages, but my other printer is a laser...
  4. F

Thanks for this. Unfortunately I have only one pc joystick, so this makes troubleshooting somewhat difficult, but I can try it on a different PC. The windows 98 pc (one I got the joystick for) has only one game port. The other IO is motherboard integrated so there is no separate IO card...
  5. F

I've got this old Genius Flight 2000 f-16 game port joystick which I'm trying to use on my windows 98 machine (a slot1 P3 machine with an opti sound card in an isa slot connected joystick) and it seems the joystick appears a bit "twitchy". What I meant an by this is that after calibration the...
  6. F

Thanks, but I'm based in Europe. Here there are lots of shops that sell it, but they don’t tell you if it is new old stock or new made (I suspect because all are old). The prices range from $2 to $6. I don't think I saw one for as much as $15. Unfortunately it turns out I'm out of white spirit...
  7. F

Does it say much did they go for? Unfortunately the site is blocking IPs outside US. My first printer was an ink jet in late 90s. A Lexmark 1000 if I remember correctly. That printer didn't even have black ink so text was a bit greyish, but it wasn't that bad. The ink cartridge had no special...
  8. F

Interesting thing about the quality and the color printing. How did plotting work on those daisy wheel printers? Did they use graphic characters to make up drawings? (lines, commas etc)? Coming back to normal dot matrix. I wonder if the quality of printouts depends a lot more on the ribbons...
  9. F

This is interesting about offsetting by a fraction of a dot. I think my 9-pin printer is doing that when set to condensed. The quality of text seems to be much better, but it is many times slower.
  10. F

I've recently got a hold of an old wide carriage Epson Fx-1050 9 pin printer. I managed to find a replacement ribbon for $2, but even before it arrived I got the old ink ribbon working with some wd40. It surprised me that even graphics quality wasn't that bad on this 9 pin printer (or at least...
  11. F

Epson fx-1050 impact printer can't load sheet paper.

Actually I can reply to myself as it turns out the method of paper loading described by the manual is wrong... The manual says one is supposed to take the printer offline, put paper in, then press load/eject button. This results in a balled up mass of paper. However if one instead switches...
  12. F

Epson fx-1050 impact printer can't load sheet paper.

I ve recently got a large format Epson Fx-1050 impact printer that takes continous as well as sheet paper. However, I found I can load sheet paper only manually. If I use the printer's load function the paper will jam into the print head/rollbar assembly. Specifically the printer has a...
  13. F

One IBM PC/clone gaming machine or two for covering 1980's and 1990's games?

I second the recommendation to get just the 90s machine however as you're not targeting 3d games (duke 3d, doom etc) I would go for a 386. I have both a 386sx-25 (4mb ram) and a 386dx-40 (8mb ram) and I think both are suitable for early 90s and 80s games. When building such a system make sure...
  14. F

Fixing an AT "buckling springs" membrane keyboard.

I think the electronics is broken with this keyboard or it is extremely sensitive for slightly higher contact resistance. Despite fixing the membrane issues no matter what I do, I can only get sporadic function of one key group (I measured the chip is getting the right voltage when keys are...
  15. F

Main use of large format dot matrix printers.

Are they using the wide paper (14in 7/8ths wide)? This was a very interesting read. Thanks. Also the pictures showing that "green bar" 14 7/8in paper were interesting. I never saw tractor paper so wide.
Back