• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by FParker

1. F

Packard Bell 386sx RAM Issue

Okay, cool. I found the legend for three digit beep codes for Packard Bell. I reckon that the issue is probably a bad stick of RAM, given that the computer boots when the original RAM is reinstalled. How does one test for bad sticks?
  2. F

Packard Bell 386sx RAM Issue

Hello everyone, I'm upgrading the RAM in this computer from the original extended 384kB to 16MB just to give me a good edge when running Windows 3.11. Each stick is 4MBs of 9-chip, parity, 60ns, 30-pin SIMM RAM. However, when I go to boot the computer, I get one of several beep codes (they're...
  3. F

Packard Bell Packmate 386 SX Processor Question

I wish to thank everyone for the cornucopia of information re: my questions. I always learn more than anticipated when I come here. Based on all this info, I will keep this computer stock and use it as it was intended from the factory. I will begin my search for a 486DX or even an early...
  4. F

Fair enough. Would I, by any chance, be able to run Windows 3.X on this processor? I would think that that would be a bit more manageable than 95.
  5. F

Hello, I have a pretty simple question. Is there a way, if any, to pop this processor out of this socket? It seems as if there would be a way, but I'm not sure. I can get a better sideview of the processor socket tomorrow if this picture does not suffice. The reason I ask is because I'd...
  6. F

Zenith Z-Note 425 Lnc Video Issues.

Why are they doing this? I'm assuming it's age related. Another thing that frustrated the finding of these chips are the MOQs that a lot of distributors have. I don't need 50 of the same DRAM module, I need four. Such is life, I suppose: endless frustration.
  7. F

From the looks of it, it's a five volt chip, and the L means low CMOS current needed for data retention. I'll bet it was wild in the 90s to follow all this stuff as it was coming out. Such break-neck pace with development; it's truly incredible to ponder.
  8. F

Sadly, I don't have access to any RAM modules that are like that. The depth of my old computer parts bin is shallower than a kiddie pool, so the best I can do is buy those similar chips. I sent an inquiry to a company that has them after reviewing the datasheet. Apparently, the V53C104 is a...
  9. F

Would there perhaps be a tester of sorts that could check to see which of these chips are good or bad?
  10. F

Well, upon changing out the original chips for the "new" chips from my original board, everything has gone from bad to horrendous. No solder bridges, no shorts, no nothing. The chips must have been bad there too. What on Earth am I to do? I can't get new chips; an unknown number of the old...
  11. F

I might just pull the chips off the original power/VGA board. It's unfortunate because I wanted to diagnose why that board never fired up. I guess I won't be doing that any time soon. Still, at least I'll have identical chips; at this juncture, that's what matters. I am 99% sure that's what...
  12. F

Noted. How about these? It says FK60L instead of NK60L on the chip, but all else is the same. So far, I have not found any chips that match the model number exactly; this is the closest match. Thank you all for helping me. For someone who has very little experience with chips, y'all's...
  13. F

This is where I get lost. Truthfully, I don't know the first thing about chips, especially when it comes to the stats that matter. Is there a site online that's a "one stop shop" for learning stuff like this, or do you just acquire the knowledge over time? That said, would these work?
  14. F

I thought as much, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving any possible skills to learn on the table, if you know what I mean. Hopefully I can find these chips.
  15. F

I found the GPU: https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/181-chips-technologies-f65530 This link discusses it (although I wish it had more info). I would assume the chips next to it are VRAM? I don't even know how I'd go about testing for continuity or anything like that on this...
Back