• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Hyperfrog

1. H

Is there any such thing as a "Tandy 3" computer?

Just out of curiosity, if you know a bit about TRS-80 computers, please take a look at this auction and tell me if you think it's a genuine Radio Shack computer. It looks like a white Model III. I think a number of those were produced at the end of the Model III's lifecycle. What's strange...
  2. H

Please help me identify a very early text-mode game

What I'm looking for is the name of an early text-mode scroller that most probably predates the IBM PC. I remember seeing what seemed to be a compiled-BASIC version of the game on some web site some time ago. It could have been programmed in BASIC under CP/M before being compiled for DOS...
  3. H

65C02 in Apple IIe -- Can't boot from disk

I replaced my Apple IIe's 6502 with a 65C02. She still displays "Apple ][" upon power on, which makes me believe the new CPU is good, but she now refuses to boot from disk. What's wrong? Do I need to also replace the ROMs in order to convert her into an enhanced IIe? Thanks, Christian
  4. H

Looking for schematic of Compaq Portable (1st model)

Title says it all. Anybody got that scanned? Thanks, Christian
  5. H

Hacking Fun -- Overclocking/Underclocking an Hercules Graphics Card

I have a couple of Hercules Graphics Cards of which I replaced the master clock crystal in order to generate a video signal that can be displayed using another type of monitor (SVGA or composite). Those cards normally have a 16-MHz crystal. If you replace it with a 28.57-MHz one, you get a...
  6. H

Using a 16-bit VGA card in an 8-bit slot

I'm considering buying a VGA card for my XT computer. It seems that 8-bit VGA cards are rare and expensive. However, I think some (most?) 16-bit cards will work in an 8-bit slot. For instance, it is my understanding that the OTI37-based card at...
  7. H

CGA/MDA graphics card refuses to display 80-colum text in color

I have a CGA/MDA graphics card that I set to CGA. A color composite monitor is connected to the RCA output jack labeled "COLOR". On the motherboard (XT), switches 5 & 6 are set to ON and OFF respectively (Color 80 x 25), while the switch on the graphics card is set to CGA (the other position...
  8. H

Apple IIe silly question

Why does my Apple IIe says "Apple ][" on its boot screen instead of "Apple //e" like I've seen on some pictures. Is there a switch or a key combination to make it boot as a IIe? Thanks, Christian
  9. H

Tandy 1000 EX/HX RAM expansion... the poor man's way

I'm thinking about boosting the RAM of a Tandy 1000 HX without adding a DMA board. (There's one on eBay right now... The seller is asking $69 for it, and I don't even know if it is fully populated.) I think I could piggyback some static RAM chips on top of the ROM, and then route the appropriate...
  10. H

How to transfer games from oddball format floppies to the hard disk?

Let's say I have a bunch of 5.25" floppy disks with games on them. They're not readable under DOS because they use oddball formats, but they're bootable. When I want to play such a game, I have to use its floppy to boot the PC with. Sooner or later, the floppy disk will fail, and the game will...
Back