• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Jason Novak

1. J

Text corruption after BIOS on internal LCD only, external display fine on Portable PC III (Orchid)

Here's where I've settled at for now for anyone else having the same issue at least letting it switch into a usable mode automatically. I tried vmode.exe which lets you set the VGA mode, ie 10 or 11, though when I start something like edit the mode is switched...
  2. J

Text corruption after BIOS on internal LCD only, external display fine on Portable PC III (Orchid)

Thanks, yeah I remember that now - it does seem like it's exactly what I need, it wasn't including in the driver packages I'd come across on the web and I didn't have anything else that originally came with it, disks or HDD, I'll do some more searching. Hopefully it's not something custom for...
  3. J

Thanks, it does seem to be font related. Using the factory utilities that let me switch between the external display and the internal via keystroke and a config tool, I notice turning off "extended" mode seems to switch from NTSC to CRT, which I assume changes the font, and it works, at least...
  4. J

I have a Portable PC III by Orchid Systems - a 386 compaq portable III clone that takes a regular MB with a special video card for the LCD. Plugging in a VGA monitor, everything works fine - the initial BIOS boot screen, and then DOS afterwards. Using the internal LCD screen instead, the BIOS...
  5. J

Toshiba T1200 laptop User Manual

Toshiba T1200 laptop User Manual I scanned it myself as I couldn't find it online anywhere, only the service manual https://archive.org/details/toshiba-t-1200-user-manual
  6. J

Rebuilding Toshiba T1200 Main Battery Pack (Suggestions on replacement cells)

To follow up, after only really finding one ready made 2x3 C cell battery pack that was expensive, and not wanting to make my own pack, I ended up picking up a cheap 6x1 AA pack off Amazon and soldering a connector to the original battery. I'm not sure I believe the 2400mah rating, but sitting...
  7. J

Rebuilding Toshiba T1200 Main Battery Pack (Suggestions on replacement cells)

I've opened up main battery on my Toshiba T1200 laptop, PA7491U 7.2V 2200 mAh, I assume nicad cells. Took a bunch of pictures to help others in the future. I basically cut it open along the seam with a utility knife. It looks like it has some weird leaking cells that were 25mm x 100mm, with some...
  8. J

My 4P Drive Switch Mod

I added a drive select switch to my 4P and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I'm a bit of a novice so I adapted a lot of existing sources, so I wanted to make a thread with high res pictures and tips I wish I'd had when I started this. First, I swapped out the LED on the gotek since I...
  9. J

Found some old Kaypro boards

I was given an old Kaypro about 10 years ago, I was never really use it. It had no disks, and I got a boot disk through the mail, but it still didn't like it. I was in high school at the time, and ended up having to throw it out to to save space, but I did strip out the guts. I've gotten...
Back