• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by kerravon

1. K

PDOS/386 news

Hi. PDOS/386 (at http://pdos.org) now supports (to some - for my use sufficient extent) the Win32, OS/2 2.0, Linux 386, 32-bit MSDOS (can be quibbled) and PDOS-generic APIs. And I now provide a toolchain for those first 3 APIs so that you can rebuild gcc 3.2.3 with itself (or basically any...
  2. K

CP/M-80 binaries on V20 with PDOS/86-V20

Thanks for that. After some research I found out (I believe) what the IX and IY references were. Those are Z80 extensions (extra registers) to the 8080. That made me realize that there is no particular reason for me to be using the 8080 instead of the Z80 as I would be writing in C anyway. So...
  3. K

IBM 5160 memory management - C code compiling with Open Watcom.

Huge pointers are required if you want to allocate a block bigger than 64k, and be able to traverse that whole block using normal pointer arithmetic, e.g. p++. If your pointers are only far, regardless of whether you manually defined that in any memory model, or whether you didn't use the far...
  4. K

PC BIOS function int 21, 48

Ok, I see what happened now. I interpreted "you need to declare it as a far pointer, regardless of the memory model your using" as "regardless of which memory model you are using - even large - you MUST declare pointers as far and do a far cast in order to convert from an integer type"...
  5. K

Sort of, yes. You don't necessarily need the huge memory model, you can use a single huge pointer (using the "huge" keyword) as required. I personally don't like using non-C90 anything, so I prefer to eliminate both the huge keyword and the use of farmalloc. And am happy to have any performance...
  6. K

PC BIOS function int 21, 48

Are you sure? Is that Turbo C specific? I just tried this (Watcom - which is what I have readily available): D:\scratch\xxx>wcl -ml -c foo.c D:\scratch\xxx>type foo.c char *tempdata; void foo(void) { tempdata = (char *) 0x1000C180; } D:\scratch\xxx>wdis foo.obj 0008 36 C7 06 00 00 80...
  7. K

It did do the conversion automatically. Multiplying two ints together gives an int result - as expected. (and truncates - as you didn't want). Putting the int into a long automatically does the conversion of the (truncated) result from int to long. Note that if you had multiplied a long by an...
  8. K

double memory with PM32 D-bit

Yes, I want a simple design, inspired by MSDOS. The PM16 applications will run fine on both PDOS/286 and PDOS/386-PM-not-quite-16 or whatever it is called. Your PM16 application binaries (source unavailable/lost/whatever) will simply get double the available memory when run on the 386. (Note...
  9. K

double memory with PM32 D-bit

If I have a PM16 OS and program (both written by me), so that I have 8192 selectors (including both GDT and LDT), and I tile them to the max, and sequentially, and run everything in privileged mode, but I need to also write and execute memory, in a simple manner, so two selectors for each memory...
  10. K

OS/2 1.x PM16 code matching data

Thanks for that! I would never have figured that out. I was able to get PDOS-generic working (still kludged though) using that function. You can see it being used here: https://sourceforge.net/p/pdos/gitcode/ci/master/tree/bios/exeload.c and here is it running: D:\devel\pdos\generic>bios...
  11. K

OS/2 1.x PM16 code matching data

I am writing a 16-bit (PM16) version of PDOS-generic using an OS/2 1.x executable as a pseudo-BIOS and running under Windows 2000 (also tried HX dpmild16 under Freedos). I got a protection violation and thought that I needed the equivalent of mprotect to overcome that. DosQueryMem and DosSetMem...
  12. K

external floppy for 386SX

This is what my "crazy screen" now looks like. The screen was initially readable, but said that it had a configuration error and I needed to press F2. But pressing F2 to get into the BIOS setup gives me junk instead. I'm pretty sure it sometimes works. And the junk had much more lines before...
  13. K

First boot from floppy went haywire. It was exposed to, and detected, a hard disk that time - so it wasn't a controlled experiment. However, I doubt that the hard drive had anything to do with this. I suspect that the floppy disk failed to read command.exe properly and was thus corrupt.
  14. K

An earlier error.
  15. K

That "A" is meant to be in yellow, and the blue is only supposed to be on the first line. I suspect a BIOS limitation there. But can't really debug it with so little time on the machine (like 10 minutes per day if I'm lucky). And I'm not particularly trying to debug BIOSes. I only wanted to...
Back